Spider mites on knock outs

Bridget HelmMarch 22, 2013

Hi. Does anyone know how to get rid of slider items on knockout roses? I've heard that certain products make them reproduce more??? If possible, can you recommend a systemic product? I HATE sprays. I love Bayer tree and shrub advanced, but I'm afraid that it may be one of the products that encourages rapid reproduction.

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

A spray with water every week or so should dissuade them.

tj

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 5:39PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

mh, the Bayers product IS renowned for creating population explosions in pests....most notably spider mites.

I have to respectfully disagree that a weekly spray of water will control mites on your roses. Recommended treatments include insecticidal soap......the REAL STUFF....and horticultural oil. Application of anything, including water, needs to be directed to the underside of the foliage where mites like to hang out.

Be sure to read, understand, and follow the label directions.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:54PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Some research has found that the systemic pesticides are very harmful to our pollinators and most all of the pesticides are very broad spectrum and kill off the beneficials that can help control the few pests.
Understanding the life cycle of Spider Mites more than likely can help keep them under control. Note in the attached article where it states that Spider Mites often become more of a problem after spraying for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 6:58AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Thanks for the good link, kimmsr. It recommends water, insecticidal soaps, and oils. I'd go for the water first of all.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:33AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

As I recall daily misting to help raise the humidity level around the plant. Once a week is not going to help when the weather is hot and dry.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:53AM
PRO
Bridget Helm

Thanks everyone. Ill break out the neem oil. ugh i just hate spraying!

My beneficials don't seem bothered by Bayer tree and shrub. I've got lots of lady bugs and red orange assassins and little wasp flies. I only use it when I've got a real problem pest to deal with, however.

The humidity will kick in soon. I'm in south Louisiana, so rarely are we lacking humidity ;)

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:04PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

bmh4796,
"In gardens and on small fruit trees, regular, forceful spraying of plants with water often will reduce spider mite numbers adequately. Be sure to get good coverage, especially on the undersides of leaves. If more control is required, use an insecticidal soap or oil in your spray, but test the product on one or two plants to be sure it isnâÂÂt damaging to them. (See Chemical Control below.)"
Source.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™