Anti-Bermuda Edging

lucas_tx_gwJuly 17, 2011

I'm lucky enough to have little blue stem and buffalo grass make up a lot of areas in my lawn. However it a lot of other areas, there is enough Bermuda mixed in for it to be a real pain.

I'm continually taking over lawn areas for raised beds and/or beds at ground level.

So, I'm constantly thinking about edging to use and looking for the ideal scenario. This thinking is complicated by the fact that in many areas, the beds tend to expand each year so I'm somewhat reluctant to put in something permanent.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Inexpensive, durable and easy to install would be nice. Ability to get below ground level to stop the underground running is pretty imperative.

Thanks

Teri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Fryhover

I use the roll galvanized flashing meant for roofing. You can get the 12-14" and put half in the ground and half above. I have used it at the bottom of some chainlink fence with great success.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 12:11PM
lucas_tx_gw

Sounds good. I guess you have to dig to put it in? It's not sturdy enough to pound it in like that green steel edging is it?

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:44AM
Nancy Fryhover

Yes, you need to use a sharp square edging shovel. A little work but worth the results, I think.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 2:04PM
redding

I think I might need a sledgehammer to pound it into my clay soil, unless it's pretty soggy to begin with. Not to mention contending with the existing roots. Being a western transplant, I have never seen roots like these grasses have. Incredible.

Pat

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Pinching growing tips on tomato seedlings?
Every spring usually after I've transplanted my tomatoes,...
jcheckers
Wave Pansy Giveaway
Enter through this Sunday, March 1st. 45 randomly-selected...
shankins123
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™