Growing from Seed- When to start fertilizing

skycopp(Maryland -7a)February 12, 2012

Need help from the experts here. I have about 15 different varieties of peppers under some grow lights (t5) that I started from seeds. Some have just barely poked thru, I have a few (that I planted earlier) that are already 3 inches tall.

These are all in 'seed starter' type of mix in plastic cups. At what point should I start fertilizing?

I have some Osmocote granules, but I just ordered the Dyna-gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 that seems to be popular with some folks on the 'Container Gardening' forum.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luisito8m(9)

Skycopp,

When I grow peppers, I usually let them grow at least 1 foot, to prevent the fertilizer burn the new born plant. I start fertilizing just before transplanting outside to prevent "too much" stress all at once.

Since the plant will only start yielding peppers until transplant, there is really not much point of fertilizing before.

Thats how I do it, and I bet others do it differently but has always worked for me. Ask away if u got more questions. :)

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 5:41PM
don555(3a)

I guess we all do it differently... I'd start fertilizing lightly when they were 2" or 3" tall, and re-fertilize lightly every 2-3 weeks.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 12:25AM
john11840(z6/CT)

If I am using potting mixture without fertilizer I start with a half strength solution of orchid fert when the seedlings are up. After I transplant into the garden I fertliize lightly once with 6-6-6 or 10-10-10 about 3 weeks after they are in the ground. Be careful not to get the garden fert directly on the seedlings.
John A

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 8:00AM
Edymnion(7a)

I start my seeds in a seed starter mix which appears to be basically nothing but peat with some grit mixed in. Can't be any useable nutrients in that stuff, so I mix up some dilute micronutrient fertilizer as soon as they sprout just so they have something to eat.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 11:11AM
capoman(5a)

It depends on whether your potting soil has nutrient or not. I usually use home made soil less mix that has no nutrient. In this case, I usually start with 1/4 strength feed once a couple sets of true leaves come up, and then ramp up as the plant gets larger.

Many premade soils have fertilizer in them that can sustain the plant until transplant. Make sure you understand what is in your soil.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 10:37AM
chuckstoll(5)

After the second set of true leaves I apply a starter fertilizer and continue to water with it every other time

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Possible NuMex Halloween Mutation
So this year I broke out one of my dried NuMex Halloween...
Edymnion
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Progress Video 3/26/15
Here's a look at my plants. Things are finally starting...
peppernovice
Sponsored Products
Sundial Bookcase by Kartell
$1,850.00 | Lumens
Riverside Lennox Street Rectangle Cocktail Table - 5602
$524.25 | Hayneedle
Indoor Area Rug: Bay Tan/Beige 9' x 13'
Home Depot
Design Toscano The Tranquil Tortoise Garden Sculpture - Large - KY16867
$225.87 | Hayneedle
Among The Stars Ursa Minor Caramel 12-Light Semi Flush Mount
Bellacor