Seven ready to use not working

gobluedog(5)March 13, 2013

I'm at my wits end !! My Chrysanthemums Cuttings i saved from Last Fall got lots of brown Aphids. I sprayed Seven twice and does not seem to work, i even took them out to my garage where the Temp is 45 sprayed all the leaves, top and bottom hoping the cooler air temp woud kill them !! I even set them out durring a heavy Rain storm hoping to wash them off. I just can't believe the Seven Bug spray didn't do Bronthe trick !! i guess i will have to try the soap and oil spray!! Aphids in MI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

From the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture:

"Sevin (carbaryl) is not effective against many aphids so it is generally not a good choice for control unless recommended specifically. In fact, applications of Sevin may reduce the number of beneficial insects, such as lady beetles, and increase the potential for aphid outbreaks."

How established are the cuttings and can they take a bit of a spray of water?

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: UK Aphid info

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:03PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

If only a few, you can squish 'em.

Also effective will be direct hits of insecticidal soap, diluted according to label directions

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:35PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The most effective, and least toxic, method of aphid control is to simply knock them off the plant with a sharp stream of water. Not even Insecticidal Soap is really needed. However, putting the affected pants out in the rain or even under the shower will not be effective. A spray bottle filled with tap water used to knock the wee buggers off will be.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 7:19AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

what was the point of applying sevIn a second time.. if it didnt work the first time???

did you use sevin indoors the first time.. is is labeled for said use?????

and if rain washed off aphids.. one would think that aphids.. as we know them.. would not exist..

for the most part.. they are on the undersides of the leaves .... and but for the worst rain storms.. they wouldnt be affected by such ...

ken

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:26PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm SURE that gobluedog would never use Sevin RTU inside! Right, gbd? Please tell us that you didn't.

It probably shouldn't have even been used inside the garage.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™