worm identification

magnolia_lee(8)March 5, 2013

I was moving some pots around that have been sitting out all winter and after lifting one (with a plant in it) off of an upturned pot, I found these worms underneath. They are writhing around in the water collected there and when I moved one out of the water, it quickly scooted back to the water.

They are between an inch and inch and a half long. My initial searches online made me think maybe they are pot worms, but the info I've found led me to think maybe they're a little big for pot worms. The pot with the plant that I lifted off the top does not have holes in the bottom, so I don't believe that they came out of the dirt in that pot.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Is it something I should be concerned about? This is a new house to us, so I'm just getting into cleaning up a garden area and thinking about soil amendment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hmm, I don't know. Could be Potworms (Enchytraeidae), often called "White Worms". Potworms are beneficial and feed on decaying organic matter. Some worm growers culture them and sell them for fish food. They require very moist environments and will die quickly if they get dry. Just a guess on my part however.

Art

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Grubs
I'm finding quite a number of these in my garden beds....
oberci
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™