Scale-Like Egg Sacs?

reptilegardener777March 29, 2014

Hello, Everybody,

I received some "Fishnet Stockings" Coleus, but they have a lot of scale-like growths. Here is a picture of something that looks very similar to what I have: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Hds23hCOov4/UHulX1C3ZoI/AAAAAAAAAKk/wqwkPvl-GcU/s1600/scales.jpg

When I remove them, they either a) pop and ooze some kind of slime, or b) come off nicely but are filled with a white dust-like material. With regard to the latter, they seem to serve as egg sacks from which emerge small white bugs (my camera can't pick them up with good detail, they're so small). Also, there are many small whitish-yellow insects resembling green peach aphids.

However, I know that scales themselves are insects, so I am wondering if it is possible that I have a combination of scales in combination with aphids? (I assume this, given the vesicles' different removal reactions).

One more possible piece of helpful information is that the plants are potted in "EcoScraps" soil, which is said to be almost completely made up of composted fruits and vegetables. Is it possible that some pest eggs are in the soil, as hitch-hikers on the produce that helps form it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Please post your own images even though the dust-like stuff is too small.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 7:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would return .. or demand a refund ... for stock that was sent.. infested with critters ..

and i would never use that source again ...

and i would throw them out.. not being interested in doubling or tripling my cost.. thru buying more remedies ..

sounds like scale ... ones dead from winter.. the question is.. where did the crawlers go ... momma is usually dead in spring.. and eggs under her dead carcass ... hatch ... you might spend some time learning the life cycle ... so as to better define what remedy is needed ...

but i would still throw them away.. and give the seller a piece of my mind ... [if they refused refund]

ken

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™