Fungus and Weird Limbs on Bing Cherry Tree

austinsimonson(9)March 21, 2013

The picture shown is just one of the pictures I have for this question...you can see the rest here:

http://imgur.com/a/MS7c5

Anyways, I have a few questions.

First off, what disease is causing this fungus to grow on the cherry tree? How can is be killed, or is it too late? (Images 1 - 4 in the album)

Next, some of the limbs on my tree are growing downwards and then upwards. It seems a little odd...shouldn't they just be growing in a general upward path? (images 5 - 6 in the album)

Finally, there are like two limbs that grow normally, but then towards the end of them, they start growing flat, I guess. What would cause this to happen? (images 7 - 8 in the album)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Album

This post was edited by austinsimonson on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 21:14

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That most likely is a comon tree fungus used in much Asian cooking. Few of these are harmful to the trees they grow on.
Tree limbs, branches, grow in repsonse to the sunlight. Sometimes these limbs grow in strange directions because that is how they find the sunlight they need to manufacture the food they synthesize to feed the tree. If these limbs bother you too much they can be pruned.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 6:43AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

there is a very active fruit forum.. where you might get advice on pruning .. especially if you insert a pic of the whole tree.. right in the post ...

the concern on the fungus.. in my world.. warped as it is.. is whether it is coming from a gaping wound.. or just on bark surface.. and not even knowing what it is/was ... surface stuff.. just wouldnt have bothered me.. beyond wondering ...

ken

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 7:49AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Those several weird branches have what is called fasciation. Various theories as to the cause. Remove the strange growth but understand that more fasciated growth may show up on the tree.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™