Needle palms-- full sun or part shade?

subtropixMay 26, 2012

I have a cluster of Needle palms in a very sunny exposure. The color is just not as green as when I put them in last year. I am thinking of moving them to part shade and putting a cluster of Sabal Louisiana and minors in its place. Would the Sabals do better than Needles in full, hot sun?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

They're both naturally understory palms, loving wetland forest edges. I have all my needles and minors in areas where they get partial or filtered sun. I've heard others say that their needles get burned in full WINTER sun, when its especially cold. I think the winter filtered light helps. It's a tough call, I think farther south where winters are milder, either could go in full sun and do well. I also believe any kind of transplant sets them back. They might perform best where they are.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 1:09PM
subtropix

Thanks wetsuiter. Makes sense not to move the Needle if the Sabals I mentioned are also part sun loving. In a few years it will get shadier in te front anyway as their is a hedge of crape myrtles developing around the planting area withe the needles toward the center. Saved me some work too. To ht and humid to work outside anyway but I guess mst of e palms love it.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 1:32PM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

Some of my needles and sabal minors are under a trio of big crape myrtles, so sounds familiar. I've always heard that the needles can "bronze" in full winter sun, especially during a cold snap. Sun in the winter isn't necessary a good thing to tender plants.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 11:19PM
P.J._in_MD

Mine love full sun. They are green and grow fast in those conditions.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 11:50PM
jacklord(7A)

I have 6 Needles going. The two best specimens, that is the two that have really taken off and have that sunburst shape, are the ones that get sun and shade in equal doses or a lot of dappled shade. The others are either in lots of shade or full sun. They do ok but not like those other two.

Of course, this is hardly conclusive and other results may vary.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 9:52AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

They seem to do well in sun or shade. They grow faster in the sun, but prefer shade during the winter. I think that evening sun and morning shade would be best if possible.
-Alex

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 12:27PM
wetsuiter(7b/8a)

I have most of my needles on my west side of my house, so they get late afternoon sun, Alex. On a positive note one of my ne edles that gets mire sun is producing three inflo "pods". Let's hear it for $19 blue pots at Home Depot (plus 10% military discount)!

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Need Help With My Bamboo Plant
I needed to add some nature and greenery to my townhouse,...
talya_dee
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
2015 sudden jump(here)from winter to spring
Check out March 6th,that is the day I uncovered my...
jimhardy
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Conrad Metal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Jessica McClintock Romance Champagne Gold Buffet Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
DreamLine Duet 44-48 x 72 Frameless Bypass Sliding Shower Door
Overstock.com
Sherpa Tote Around Town Black Pet Carrier - 43042
$40.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Deep Bowl Shade, Forest Green, Frosted Glass,
Home Depot
Sonneman Flange 9” Satin Nickel Ceiling Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Meticulously Woven Killeen Modern Geometric Area Rug (6'7" x 9'6")
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. Piper Wall-Mount Outdoor White Light Fixture
$42.33 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™