White bugs on my Euonymous Bushes

christy_124March 28, 2009

I have had these bushes for over 15 years and have never had anything attack them. This year however, these little white things are all over them and killing the bush. I clipped the dead part off, then sprayed with a pesticide for shrubs, then sprayed with Murphy's Oil soap. Then new growth started and has continued. However, these white scales are still on the bushes and I sprayed again today. They are awful. Should I cut these bushes all the way down? I don't want to lose them. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it very much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

A picture would be helpful so we could ID these "white things."

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 10:22PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

christy, you may have named your own pest - euonymus scale. While not particularly a problem in my own climate, from the number of posts about them they cause considerable damage other places.

See if this matches your pest -

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus Scale

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 2:17AM
victorine72(7a)

Hi. I have two very mature euonymus bushes at my house which were planted by the previous owners. They took a no-maintenance approach to the landscaping. I am still trying to undo their mistakes/abuse. The first time I took a good look at my euonymus, there was so much scale I thought it was powdery mildew. Yuk. Luckily, euonymus scale is particular to that plant. I was able to get my infestation under control by using neem oil. A dormant oil spray (like All Seasons) would probably work too. You can buy neem oil online if you can't find it locally. I get mine from organeem.com-- even with shipping it is $10 less per quart than any store here.

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 11:39AM
calliope(6)

We had a bad year for them about a decade ago. I had several types of euonymus in my rockery and also as ground cover near a shade garden. Yes, oil is effective. Mine were polluted as well.

I clipped them down as far as I could, raked up the debris and burnt it, and then just let it fly with hort oil. Decreasing the foliar surface made it a lot easier to get good coverage. I only had to treat it once, and it has never reappeared.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil?
Best organic pesticide for house plant soil? I currently...
algar32
problem with skunk cabbage
My Eastern skunk cabbages aren't doing so well. I believe...
weirdflowers
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Bubanza Wasabi 5' x 8' Flatweave
Home Depot
Besa Sola 12 1/2" Wide White Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
LA Personalized Framed Wall Decor - 24W x 18H in. - WAL-026-F
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Classic White Parrot Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
White & Red 1,000-Thread Count Sheet Set
$59.99 | zulily