Slow Growing Not Messy Palms

akarinzMay 2, 2008

I would like to put a slowing growing and not messy (via seeds etc.) palm around my pond. I previously had a queen palm, which had to be cut down, because of the telephone wires. It also created a mess in the pond.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I am in sourthern california.

Thanks,

Karin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bdobs

Pigme date palm?
Very slow growing, and attractive in my opinion.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 3:44PM
akarinz

bdobs, actually I have ten of those already, along with a triangle palm, and eleven king palms. My backyard is tropical and I guess I was looking for something that perhaps was not as common. :)

K.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 3:54PM
islandbreeze

How bout a Trachycarpus Wagnerianus? Or maybe a Butia? Not sure how butias are with seeds, but they don't seem like they'd be as common in California as they are in the deep south.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 4:24PM
josh_palm_crazy

How about a Sago?

Jay

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 4:29PM
kitchenshock

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa might be a choice. They are relatively slow and can take sunlight or shade and grow just fine and they are not extremely expensive. As for the seed pods, you can cut those off.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 5:03PM
gk5040

Cat palms like water, and might do well in the right sun condiditons. You didnt mention if this was sunny or shaddy area, did you want tall or short? I like the cardboard palm but this needs lots of shade. I havent a clue about how to grow any palms from seeds.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 5:05PM
kitchenshock

I don't know if I would plant a cardboard palm near a pond. The seeds are highly toxic and can harmful to wildlife. They are a nice cycad though.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:18PM
islandbreeze

I second Jay's suggestion of a sago. Seems like the perfect choice, and if cycas revoluta is too slow growing for you, there are a ton of other cycas choices such as Taitungensis that grow faster but don't get huge, not to mention they're very low maintenance.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 1:24AM
arctictropical(Z4)

You might also consider Mediterranean Fan Palms. They are very slow growing.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 1:58PM
fawnridge(10A)

Spindle Palms, Bottle Palms - both slow growing to a terminal height of around 15' at one foot a year under optimum conditions. They are also self-cleaning.

Cat Palms - only if you have heavy shade! Ditto for Majesty Palms - terminal height 20' at better than one foot a year. Self-cleaning by the fifth year.

Teddy Bear Palms - you can find these grown in shade and partial sun. They will do best in partial sun (shade at noon). One of those, "hey, come feel this" plants you can put in the garden and really attract... well, whatever it is you seek to attract. Terminal height - 25' at better than one foot per year.

These are easy to find but at a level where you don't really see enough of them in the landscape. There's another dozen I could come up with if I grabbed the palm book, but I've had great success with this list.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 7:41PM
inang

Don't know of any palm that will not seed. What i do is to try to cut the flower stalk. The less cold hardy one are slower growing like dypsis varieties,licualas,etc. therefore seeds are postponed in zone 9 but eventually they die if not under the canopy of some structure or tree due to either over 100 degrees F or too cold under 32 degrees like last year. I do have a 15 yr. old, 5 ft livistonia chinensis that has not flower yet.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Mexican Fan Palm Tree - Fronds Turning Yellow/Brown
Hi everyone, I live north of Dallas, TX and have a...
RedRayderz01
Keeping Majestic Palm HELP
How to keep Majestic Palm alive in Northern Virginia...every...
marie13100
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
2015 sudden jump(here)from winter to spring
Check out March 6th,that is the day I uncovered my...
jimhardy
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: SnapStone Flooring Rosso 6 in. x 6 in. Porcelain
$15.96 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Palm
Home Depot
Boss BR99003-BK Caressoftplus Sofa with Polished Steel Frame - Black - BR99003-B
$927.99 | Hayneedle
Palm Springs Block Sculpted Face Cloth - PINK (13X13)
$12.00 | Horchow
Dualit 25375 2 Slice Lite Series Commercial Toaster-Black - 25375
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Sterling Finesse 5475-48-G72 47.625W x 70.3125H in. Grafite Glass Shower Door -
$725.99 | Hayneedle
Dr. Yes Chair by Kartell
$220.00 | Lumens
Industrial Curve Mango & Iron Bookcase
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™