Palm soil

drich30099May 3, 2010

Hi, i have several assorted sized palms, 2 of which need repotting this summer. I've bought I think Miracle Gro's palm and cactus soil and have used it on another palm or 2. My question is it seems so "dry", so it seems harder to monitor the dryness of the soil between waterings. I know they need well-drained soil but it does seem so dry!

Won't a very good potting soil work or even a basic one?

thanks for your help!

debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

Good questions Debbie.
You do not need special palm soil because there are so many types of palms with differing requirements. The ones you potted should be fine.

Meanwhile, find out the name of the palms you like, and just find out if it likes moisture, direct sun or part shade etc. and add "some" builders sand($1.25 a 10 lb bag at HD)to plain unfertilized potting mix and sprinkle with a palm or flower fertilizer. Pindo palms like it a little drier therefore I add some sand and pine bark to the soil mix. It will save you money if you are repotting often.

BTW, you may scoop out some of the drier soil from the top of pots already planted and add some extra topsoil/peatmoss and/or pine bark.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 2:13PM
drich30099

Thank you so much! I do have palm fertilizer, i had to buy it in Fla, they don't sell it here in Michigan!!

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 1:33PM
Bamatufa(7 - Trussville, AL)

I was buying Palm fert everytime I went to the Gulf Coast also and then discovered my local Ace Hardware Store carries it. I beleive they have stores in Michigan so check with them.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 2:09PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Palm fertilizer is much harder to find up north but Im sure that they have some around especially this time of the year. I used miracle gro palms and cacti soil for my coconut, but I also mixed it with normal miracle gro soil. All my other plants usually get miracle gro, and some of them just get whatever I have. For the ones that need to be a little drier, or for the ones in the ground, I mix a little perlite.
I give them epsom salt when they go outside in late march/early april. Then I give them miracle gro shake and feed this time of the year followed buy miracle gro liquid feed from june to august. I will probably order some palm fertilizer for my palms this year though and save the miracle gro for my other plants.

Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 4:13PM
drich30099

I think I'll re-pot them before they go outside for the summer, i'll have the "kids" help with that on Mothers Day!
But, do I feed them after I repot, when I take them outside in a couple of weeks for the summer or wait a while after that?
Thanks for all your suggestions!

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
butia planting question in 6b
I'm expecting my butia delivery on march 21st to plymouth...
finn6b
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
Unknown palm acquisition
A guy in my neighborhood recently moved and left many...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
I transplanted Bismarkias yesterday. Any success stories?
Late last summer I pushed two old Bismakia nobilis...
Josue Diaz
Sponsored Products
15732AZT Bronze 4.5 Watts Medium Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Deluxe Wall Sconce No. 8601 by Quoizel
$129.99 | Lumens
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Palm 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Light Blue
$1,859.00 | LexMod
Wicker Palm Harbor Five-Piece Outdoor Seating Set
$749.99 | zulily
Crosley Palm Harbor Outdoor Wicker Corner Sectional Chair - CO7103-BR
$279.00 | Hayneedle
Romano 5-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Tropical Palm Tree
Overstock.com
Kai Lantern
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™