wintering plumeria

huskerguyJanuary 23, 2014

Per instructions we brought our pottet plumeria inside for the winter and put it in a dark room where the temp usually stays around 65 degrees, but somehow the door to the room got closed and the temp has fallen to who knows what. The plant is about 5 ft tall w/ three spikes about 6" long. Two of the branches are getting soft as is the main trunk about 1/4 of the way down. One branch is still hard and looks good. I assume the plant got too cold. Di I cut it back now to good hard material? How do I save it? thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Dont panic. unless the room got to below freezing it will be just fine. Im storing about 30 in a 45 degree area. if some of it is soft you can give it a little water. Little means a cup or two around the rim of the pot.

Mike

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:42PM
elucas101(8)

I also had several tips of 2 plants getting very squishy(they're being stored in my garage) and I freaked out - but then realized they were just dehydrated. I agree with Mike - try giving it some water and see if it firms up before you cut, it will probably work.

If it doesn't work within a couple of days then you can consider possibly cutting but I would definitely try the water first.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 3:48PM
jandey1(TX8)

I agree. My garage got down to the mid-30s and all but a few are just fine.

You might try a little warm water around the rim of the pot first and wait a day or so to see if the branches firm a bit. Then if you discover damage and you need to trim wait till spring so they'll have a better chance to recover from the trauma.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™