White Mold on Sunflowers

IslandNomad(6)April 28, 2013

Hi all,

I've been following the posts on here for a while as a beginner gardener and have a decent indoor garden prospering. Unfortunately I now have a question that I can't find the answer to in the forum.

I have four mammoth sunflowers growing in a large pot. I purchased the wrong seeds (who grows mammoth indoors?), but since I have a loft I figure i'd give them a shot. I planted on Jan 27, have a grow light suspended above them and they are now seven feet tall and starting to flower. I think they're doing great, but then again, I know nothing :)

We were gone for a week and returned to white mold on two of the plants. The mold is on the stems and the leaves. There was zero sign of this prior to our leaving.

From what I've seen on the web the only real option is to remove the whole lot, but I'm hoping to save at least two of them. Any advice you could share would be greatly appreciated as these are my fiancee's favorite flower and she has become quite attached :)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What I see looks more like powdery mildew (very common on sunflowers) than white mold.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:31AM
IslandNomad(6)

Thanks for the quick reply.

What do I do about it?

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:48PM
IslandNomad(6)

Another photo

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 9:50PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

does it come off like powder when you rub it? if so, it's powdery mildew. spray with a fungicide to combat it.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™