2012 snall grow list and looking for your experiences with them..

cziga(Zone 5 -Toronto)February 24, 2012

I have a very small garden and cram lots of vegetables into it. I have space for 7 peppers, and this year I am planning to try growing:

Sweet:

Corbaci

Carmagnola Rossa

Chervena Chuska

Giant Aconcagua

Chili:

Black Czechoslovakian

Black Hungarian

Cascabel

I've never grown any before except Cascabel last summer which was trampled by our dog and never recovered, hence the second attempt. I would appreciate any insight into these peppers, how you like them, how you found them, what I can expect. All are from seed that I have traded for. I know all three chilis are dark, I'm trying to figure out the differences between them and pick my favorite. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

The only one I have grown is Cascabel. Paper-thin walls, and for me, not productive. Not sure what environment they like. But, hot/humid and clay don't seem to be it. The plants were fine, just didn't set much fruit. Aside from the low yield I experienced, they seemed fine (used them in making chili powder along with several other peppers).

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 5:12PM
cziga(Zone 5 -Toronto)

Thanks for your comments :) I have clay but not too hot/humid, I don't mind low yield as long as they are tasty! I was thinking of using mine for chili powder, so I'm glad to hear someone else does.

I know most of these aren't grown too often, that's why I was very interested in hearing how other people found them ...

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:41AM
ottawapepper

I grew Chervena Chujska a few years ago in a 5 gallon pot.

According to my notes, it's a medium flesh sweet Bulgarian heirloom variety. Tapered pods 1.5 - 2 inches at the shoulder and 4 - 6 inches long that matured to a rich reddish brown colour. I got approx. 25 pods off the one plant I grew and used most for roasting. It's on my grow again list but I'm still working through my not-tried-yet seed inventory.

Bill

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™