Sea monster in my indoor sunflower seedling!!!

lzsed(6a)April 3, 2014

I have no idea what this is or how to take care of it. Any takers?? I am new at gardening, but surely this cannot be the roots.

Pictures (in dirt):

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Small mushrooms?
If so, remove & discard.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:55PM
lzsed(6a)

Ohh god if they are mushrooms that would be such a relief!!! Are not they the strangest things you have ever seen? They remind me of some type of miniature coral reef. I have a great macro camera if anyone wants a better shot of them. I really want to know how to fix whatever this is!!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:51PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Then please use the macro and post more images which will help us see details.

Oh yes -- what are the things doing? Moving? Just sitting there? or what?

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:23AM
eibren(z6PA)

Could possibly also be pupae or egg capsules of some kind, maybe even of some sort of spider, but difficult to know if friend or foe until it grows or hatches. Insect and mushroom people might be more helpful.

You could place a bit of the soil into the bottom of a glass jar and place them in there to see what they develop into if you are curious. Put a couple of tiny air holes in the cap, and add a tiny bit of moisture occasionally. If you should get tiny spiders, let them escape into your garden once it is warm enough outside.

I don't touch things like that with bare hands until I know what they are....

;o)

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:46AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

did you use a potting media ... of which it does not look like one???

or some homemade compost mix ...

if so ... that is why you have mushrooms in it.. they one of natures decomposers ... and they are finishing the job ...

you said: Are not they the strangest things you have ever seen?

==>>> no.. trust me.. there are a lot more weird and disgusting things.. lol ...

you are way past time on getting that plant outside ... its time .. if your area is warm enough.. and you will have to harden it off to direct sun for a few days.. after transplant ...

there is also some salt buildup .. that brown crust on the top edge of your media ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 11:32AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

No self-respecting spider would place her egg cases there.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 10:46PM
lzsed(6a)

Hi everyone. Thanks for the help. Still have no clue what this is.

Ah yes, important to mention that these things, whatever they are, are completely stagnant and unmoving. Otherwise I wouldn't take my sweet time to take pictures, they'd be in a few layers of plastic bags, stomped on, and promptly eradicated (sunflower included)! :P

Here are the macros:

These photos are in no particular order. See how they are somewhat porous?? Never have seen anything like it.

As for the sunflower--I planted it in the last few days of February when we had around 3 feet of snow and I was begging for some early springtime. We've had record-breaking weather this year. I don't think it's a good time to put it outside yet--I'll do that in a week or so, or whenever I know the soil is above 60 degrees. That's why it's in such a large plastic jug that I can just cut away when it's time to plant it.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 1:07PM
lzsed(6a)

The largest one right next to the sunflower actually appeared later, after taking the photos a few days ago.

I also have about 20 other plants in front of this window next to this one, and none of them have this problem.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 1:11PM
lzsed(6a)

Oh, I also used an organic vegetable garden soil for this that I bought at the store. Not sure if that makes a difference, who knows though! All of my plants are planted in this same soil, from the exact same bag of soil, and as I said before none of the other plants have this issue.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 1:18PM
calliope(6)

Just looks like the fruiting body of some sort of fungii. I get occasional mushrooms in the soiless mix on the potting benches if left undisturbed for any length of time. Not an issue, occurs in the natural breakdown of organic soils. If it bothers you to look at them, just remove them. Tends to happen if the soil remains moist for long periods of time and btw the crusty area around the edges of your soil in the pot looks typical of undisturbed soil kept on the moist side. I see it sometimes on bedding plant flats grown in winter and it can be fluffed up with a gentle swipe of the finger to keep the soil friable. Watch your watering or you'll be getting fungus gnats next.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 6:51AM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Sponsored Products
Star Struck 84-inch Insulated Thermal Blackout Curtain Pair
Overstock.com
Geneva Outdoor Flushmount by Troy Lighting
$358.00 | Lumens
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Royal
Home Depot
Woven Tan Bernardino Indoor/Outdoor Moroccan Lattice Rug (7'10" x 10'8")
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Zara Blue 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
O Hara Bath Bar by Kichler
$154.00 | Lumens
Pentole Pot Indoor/Outdoor Fountain with Illumination - FCL031
$229.98 | Hayneedle
Blue Zamora Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$29.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™