I got a grow light!

KywittFebruary 1, 2012

I was finally able to get a (cheap) grow light for my pepper plant, and now I'm disproportionately excited about it.

:D

it's only sixty watts but I'm optimistic that it'll make a big difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's my blog post on it in case you're interested

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willardb3

60 watts will keep it alive, but the plant won't fruit/flower.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 9:07AM
Edymnion(7a)

And standard instructions if they didn't provide them with the light, put the light as close to the plant as possible without touching it. As the plant grows bigger, either move the light up or the plant down (I put CDs and books under my pots, so I can move them down individually instead of moving the light for everybody).

Lots of math condensed into a somewhat accurate summary, if you move the light source twice as far away, the light hitting the plant is 1/4 as strong (its not really that simple a ratio, but its close enough for government work), so every inch counts with a comparatively weak bulb.

But yes, grow lights are awesome.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 1:59PM
esox07

I am not sure exactly what kind of bulb is in that light but if it is an incandescent bulb, it may put out a good deal of directed heat with the light and might be too hot to put too close to the plant unless there is some air circulation involved. Just be careful you don't bake the top leaves.
Bruce

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:20PM
tsheets(5)

I was thinking the same thing as esox07. Those spot light looking things may be a lot hotter than florescent bulbs. Don't cook your babies!

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:25PM
Edymnion(7a)

Eep, thats what I get for not looking into the sub-links to see what kind of bulb it was. Yeah, those could throw out some heat, so be careful!

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:55PM
Kywitt

I've followed the instructions on the box and put it about a foot away, If it doesn't seem to do any good I'll move it slowly closer while keeping an eye out for burns.

thanks for the all the great advice!

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 3:08PM
scotty66(8 Hutto TX)

along with placing the light as close to the plant as possible, I would invest in a timer. Set the timer so the light turns on at sunrise and off at sunset.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™