Sick Eonymus?

GardenWannabe007April 1, 2013

Greetings, I've planted this Eonymus Japonicus Marieke last year in October. It looked ok until two months ago when the leaves have started displaying this brown edge. No foliage loss, no pests as far as I can tell. There is new growth, but also displays the same brown edges here and there.

I fed it in the last 2 weeks and mixed the soil with compost. Anything else you would recommend?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelsoncastro

I'm thinking this might be cause by fungi. Although these shrubs are adaptable plants and simple to care for, they are susceptible to a range of fungal and bacterial diseases that affect their appearance and growth. This could have been caused by Anthracnos, a type of fungus that affects the euonymus shrub. This disease can result in severe defoliation of your shrub if left untreated. Trim and clean up diseased leaves and branches and for severe cases, spray a copper fungicide.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:34PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my conifer friends in the netherlands.. say spring is late this year.. and winter was cold ...

frankly.. that is what i call winter damage.. and there is nothing to do about it ... and could simply be the result of transplant.. and its first winter ...

i wonder how early you are.. giving it fert and compost.. and wonder if you are not loving it too much with what could amount to a double application of fertilizer too early in spring ...

i have harmed more things with too much love.. as compared to benign neglect ... and never forget.. they are not children.. and dont need to be 'fed' repeatedly ... what you already provided.. is most likely.. good enough thru next late spring ... if not forever, presuming you have a decent soil ....

and if i read this correctly .. new growth has browning edges.. i call that frost/freeze damage ...

as a default.. there arent many bug or disease issues.. in very early spring ... its usually weather related.. either winter damage showing once it warms up.. or warming up early.. followed by cold snaps ... and in regard to the latter ... force feeding it early.. and causing excessive soft growth.. only complicates it...

i wouldnt worry about it ... you cant kill these things if you wanted.. lol

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 10:28AM
GardenWannabe007

Thanks, I'll upload pictures as it gets in better shape.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:42PM
nelsoncastro

That would be great!! Hope it gets better soon..

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™