Homemade recipe for spraying for mites.

dpolson37(7a VA)January 21, 2011

I found this on the Brug forum by Kasha77 and wanted to post here because I think many plumeria growers get mites when growing them inside during the winter.

A great recipe for a homemade spray to repel and smother spider mites and aphids-

In a small sauce pan, boil 2 cups of water:

2 aspirin ( kills viruses that especially affect doubles, and helps boost plant immunities against them)

2 tsps of grated garlic (the stuff in the jar is fine)

Strain the garlic / aspirin mixture and pour into a 1 quart spray bottle.

Then add-

1 tbl of Canola oil ( or any veg. oil)

1/4 cup of lemon juice

2 tsp of baking soda

1 tsp of Dawn dish liquid

1/8 cup of alcohol

a few drops of Super thrive.

Add water to make 1 quart.

Shake well as you use it.

Water plants well first, then spray in the evening.

Personally, I wouldn't use Malathion- I think pests tend to build up a resistance / tolerance to chemicals after a while. Remember to raise the humidity by spraying your brugs- spider mites thrive in a dry environment.

I have not tried this recipe, but will probably do so in hopes of keeping them away. What I am curious about is how do people spray their plants. I've read about many people spraying them, but never really seen any postings on how they actually go about doing that. I can only imagine the mess this would make and I wouldn't want it in my house.

So lets hear from those who have sprayed for mites. Do you move the plants to the shower to spray? Do you move them outside and then bring back in? I really can't think of how I'd do this without making a real mess inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brug posting for mite recipe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kandhi(z7VA)

I spray my tropicals with the spray(neem oil, dish soap, pro-t-k solution) once a month. I place a big table vinyl cover sheet in the centre of my sunroom, take one plant at a time and spray them top/under by placing the plant on the plastic sheet. Lot of spray falls on the sheet. I group as many plants that fit on sheet and turn on the ceiling fan to dry out. What ever mess with spray that would be on the vynyl table cloth only. Once the spray dries out, I move the plants to their location and make sure the rest of the spray dries out on table cloth and then move it to garage for storage. This is working very good for me without mess on my floors and furniture around during winter.

For some plants I move them to shower to wash them fully and then spray them with solution.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 4:50PM
xerophyte_nyc(7)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - a few doses of Antistress 2000 a few days apart will kill mites for good. Haven't seen a mite in my cactus/ succulent/ plumeria/ tropical collection in 2 years now.

Do a forum search for details and an explanation. It worked exceedingly well for me and is a harmless polymer.

x

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 7:18PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

There is another product that looks similar to Anti Stress 2000. It's called 'Moisturin' and is a bit cheaper. I ordered some online, but it arrive frozen solid and was then basically useless. I'm trying to get a replacement. The main ingredients are the non-toxic polymers that provide a semi-permeable coating to the plant. It is used in the hort industry to coat cuttings and prevent them from drying out too fast. I will report results when I finally get some and try it.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 1:06PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

They're going to refund my money. Honestly, I've ordered live orchids from Hawaii in winter and they've arrived just fine. I suggested they use a heat pack when shipping, but they're probably too lazy. Will have to try to order again in March or April.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 8:37AM
briergardener_gw

kandhi,
your neem oil spray, is it homemade or you buy ready spray?
Can you give details: brand/name if you are buying it or recipe if it's homemade?

gk

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 9:43AM
kandhi(z7VA)

gk, neemoil I use is not homemade, it is dyna-gro brand 'neem oil'.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™