free psycho competition UPDATE

tdogdad(Zone 9)January 6, 2013

Sunday January 6, 2013. Cold and rain came and took out many of the open flowers but buds started opening in the new sunshine. Thanks to torqtjk(Matt), krismat (kristopher) Jeff TX, and Delwh but psycho goes on.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuy415

Unbelievable! Yet not surprised.... What a beautiful day it was today in South OC :)....
Thx for the update Bill...
Chuy

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 2:33AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

well I will officially bow out now. I only have till Jan 10th so Im sure it will make it.

thanks Bill this is fun!

Mike

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 9:50AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Yes, thanks for the update, Bill!

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 2:44PM
torqtjk(9)

What a great plumeria that is Bill, thanks again for the chance to win such an awesome cutting. The winner is going to be so lucky!

Matt

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 10:42PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Jan 23- Many leaves turned yellow and dropped off today, with rain in the forecast, but still tons of red buds and quite a few flowers. I am estimating that we are within the last month unless global warming kicks in. After the rain, I will take a picture. Thanks to Mike, Mindy Elucas, Mike and Greengirl. Bill

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 2:03AM
chuy415

Thanks for the update Bill.....

Chuy

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 3:35PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Some pics to see. First the ground was covered with yellow leaves, but in the second pic, plenty leaves, buds, and a few open flowers remain. Jan 23, 2013

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 3:22AM
pcput

GO PSYCHO! GO PSYCHO!

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 3:47PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

"Oh heavenly Plumeria Gods.."

May you keep Bill's Psycho blooms holding on for a few more weeks.. we all love this tree and i know you want the leaves to fall off soon, but there are many who would love to see you keep the blooms on for ..well, let just say... Until Feb 12th? LOLOLOL.. Ok, or close to that.

Please remind Bill that it is possible that the last bloom will fall at anytime during the night and please remind him, oh havenly Plumeria God, that he will have to be on Plumeria Patrol soon. Please make sure his flashlight is ready with "fresh" batteries...

Thank you for listening...

Bill, Simi, All of you out in CA. Make sure those socks are still handy.. I heard that the lined flipflops were on back order.. :-)

It is so hard to see Psycho turning yellow.. Thanks for the update Bill!!!

All of my trees that are supposed to be "slleeping" are starting to push new leaves. I wonder if they really ever closed their eyes... Good sign that Mother Nature is sending her good vibes!!!

Stay warm!!

Laura

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 3:54PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Laura- love your jokes. However, I counted today (27th) a hundred and six buds and twenty two flowers. Since any bud can suddenly open I will have to go to the last bud falls off. Only then is it really over. However, from past experience, when they go, they go quickly. And by the way, I am in shorts, flip flops and t-shirt today with several warm days ahead. Cold be gone. Wearing jackets is anti-Cali. Say hi to your patient. Bill

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 7:10PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Dear Plumeria god - please let me be the winner!!! I promise to make it a very pampered plant! LOL!

Bill, thanks for keeping us sweating!!!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:31AM

Lets calculate.. 14 days divided by onehundred buds and tewnty two flowers = I might be srewed... LOL!!

Unless, this beautifuk tree~~~~~ Psycho~~~~~~~~~ decided to start dropping at a very fast rate... Hmmm, maybe i could get someone to come by and give her a "little" "Shake" LMAO!! Only kidding, of course!!!

Thanks for sharing the options you have to choose from Bill.. Flips.. or nothing.. I choose flips, shorts and a great light weight top!! Perfect for viewing Newport Beach from the water!! Fish Tacos for lunch too! ;-)

Patient is doing so so, Nurse Ratchett needs the break.. ;-)

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 10:43PM
brighty(9 CA)

Forget the shadow. Waiting for Punxsutawney Phil to wake up Saturday and see the last flower drop. Sweet dreams Phil.

Brighty

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 2:50PM
elucas101(8)

Good luck to the remaining contestants!!! That Psycho is aptly named, it's flower production is so...so...PSYCHO!!!

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 4:32PM

I think bill is just teasing us and is actually sending a cutting to everyone who played. LOL

That tree is pretty Psycho.

Mike

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 4:55PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

What are you all playing? You are having way too much fun without me!

We finally moved in and unpacked. Have not been out in the back yard much since all I have is a pile of dirt. Hoping to get yard done but HOA is taking so long to approve!

Well good luck hope you all win! :)

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 2:24AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Good news for the Feb group. Big drop occurred. Now down to 29 buds and flowers. I will be checking daily since we were over a hundred just 5 days ago. It appears the last rain and cold had a delayed reaction. There are a couple of empty days so if it falls of one of those dates I will give a cutting to both on either side. Good luck. Bill

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 7:55PM

"Shake, Rattle and Roll..."

Way to go "Psycho!!!"

THANK you Plumeria Gods.. now, lets space it out just a bit... ;-)

Thanks for the update!!!

Make sure you have those batteries close by!!!

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:03PM
Andrew Scott

Hi Laura,
YOU CRACK MY ASS UP! You have no idea how badly I needed a dose of your whacky sense of humor!!

Must be you chose a February date then? Best of luck to you(and all the others).

Hey Bill,

How ya feeling? Are you fully recovered from your heart surgery? I sincerely hope so. I also hope that your weather patterns have changed so you don't have to worry about freeze damage or any other ailments that are cold tep related.

Take care,

Andrew

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 7:33AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Saturday report. 24 (more flowers than buds).
Andrew- thanks for the concern. Still some problems but the worst is I can't surf for 10 more days and the surf has been good. Oh well, I can count buds and flowers.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 2:37AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Ohhh, isn't it a bit cold to surf right now? Our water is 58 degrees and we see some blue surfers coming to shore! It's been warm so the water should warm up pretty fast now - in 2 weeks the spring breakers will be here - hope the surf's up for them. You will feel much better in a couple of weeks and then 'surf's up'!!!!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:04AM
radiantjade(SD, CA 10)

Only 24 left?!!! Now I'm getting nervous. Come on Psycho, hang in there... for just 2 more weeks.
I just got to have that Psycho. It's making me Psycho.
---JJ

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:39AM
DelWH

Surfers often use wet suits here in So Cal.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:40PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Monday, Feb.4 Down to 11 and the flowers are looking rather shabby with some cooler weather coming in Wednesday. Warmer weather coming back on Sunday.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:20PM
monet_g

OMG, I might just have a chance. My date is February 7th! Come on "Psycho" - Mamma needs some new shoes!

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:08PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Right now it is looking really good for a tie between (7)monet and (4)funinthesuninci since 5 and 6 were empty, but we are dealing with the psycho so you never can tell.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:52PM
ProudMamaSD

Come on tree, get REALLY psycho and make it until March... lol, ya right!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 5:41PM
chuy415

Darn, just missed it!! Good luck to the rest of you, I think it's gonna be in the next few days! Take good care Bill, hope to see ya soon!

Chuy

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:19PM
funinthesunincl(Z9 TX Gulf Coast)

Waiting 'patiently' for an update.....drumroll maybe??? >>>>>>>>>> LOL

Thanks for the 'plummie excitement' Bill !!!!!

~Mary Jane

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:10AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Wed. Feb.6 down to 9 very meager flowers and buds. I do see one inflo trying to produce new buds which is unusual so time will tell.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:07PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Bill, thanks for the update!!!!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:02PM
Andrew Scott

Bill,
I also appreciate you updating this post. I am thrilled to know that my Psycho will also be blooming in the near future! I did not see any inflos/flowers on the 2 that I have this past summer, so I was hopeful that this coming season they would both bloom for me. I just never imagined that either of them would start so early in the year!! This plumeria surely lives up to it's nickname 'Psycho'!!!

Andrew

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:15PM
monet_g

Ah, so close, but so far away. Thanks for the ride, Bill. I must say, you've gotten my blood moving these last couple of days.;-)
Gail

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 3:45PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Five remain. Four are meager and look like they could go any moment. The fifth is fairly strong looking so psycho rocks on. Rain tomorrow so pressure on the remaining few.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 11:30PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

As of 11am there are only two I could see and the strong one fell off. It is rainy and windy so KMS2 today or Barbara tomorrow are looking pretty good. I will be surprised if either of the two remaining flowers survive the heavy rain called for this afternoon. Bill

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:58PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

One very meager flower remains as of 6pm.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:05PM
surfbreeze(9 TX)

darn. I was going to choose Feb 15th my birthday, but it was already taken, so I chose March 4th instead. Sounds like it will be just anytime however. Thanks for the update. It has been fun watching this evolve;))

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:13PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

I found five flowers down on grass......when I thought there were only five left,,,,,

But one sad little flowers hangs on against the wind, the rain and even a little hail. One tough flower left...(sorry about the focus)

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 1:37AM
funinthesunincl(Z9 TX Gulf Coast)

This thread/contest has been such a GREAT way to break those 'off season' plumeria blues!!! Thanks so much Bill for doing this!!! May your Psycho live on and on and on!!!! How many more days until spring?????????? I start repotting my potted plumeria in a month from now.......I can't wait!!! LOL :)

~Mary Jane in Clear Lake/Houston, TX

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 2:13PM
moonie_57

It's looking good for either Barbra or Laura. Maybe even Peg if it hangs tough!

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:29PM
pcput

At the rate Psycho was dropping blooms I didn't think I had a chance. I hold my breath every time I see there is another post and it's up top. This has been soooooo much fun. Thank you so much Bill for your gracious offer and starting this.

Mary Jane- you are so right! This has been a nice break from the "plumeria blues".

Good luck to all in the next few days and I don't know what we are going to do when this ends. "LOL" Peg

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:16PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Bill, are you sure someone didn't glue that bud on your psycho plant. I picked Feb 9th the day that South Texas had its freak freeze and I lost all my tropical plants several years ago. I will never forget it.

Laura I hope it falls off today so you can get the psycho cutting. Barbra

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 5:14PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Barbara, If Laura didn't live thousands of miles away I would suspect her of the glue job. The stem is mostly rotted and black, the petals are brown and curled but the thing just hold on. Nobody picked the 11th so Peg and Laura could split if it goes tomorrow. And nobody took the 13th so Peg is in a very strong position. However, we are dealing with a psycho... Bill

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 11:57PM

LOL.. Bill, You know i work for the airlines.. Yes?

I took a quick trip and then the red eye back yesterday!! LMAO!! You didn't see me because you were tending to Mona and Chelsea!! HA!!!!

I see that the time has passed for me and i will graciously will bow out now.. I guess that glue was to strong, darn!!! Here is to you PEG!!!

Good Luck!!!

Shouldn't have used waterproof glue!! ;-)

Thanks Barbra.. I was going to donate my cutting anyway, but this was still fun to play..

Thanks Bill!! You made us have so much fun to watch. I guess ill go to sleep now that i just flew home with glue all over my fingers.. are you sure those are Pyscho blooms on that tree?

GO PSYCHO!!!!

Hope you are feeling good.. Thinking of you!!

OHHH WAIT!! Im on Eastern Time!!! I have another 2 1/2 hours left..

Come on Psycho!!! Shake it baby!!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 12:39AM
radiantjade(SD, CA 10)

I don't care if that baby turns black, shrivels up, and hangs on by a thread... I just need it to hang on for 5 More Days!
:)
---JJ

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 5:10AM
pcput

WOW! I thought for sure it would have fallen before this.
Laura-you still have one more day to share with me. Hope you didn't glue it too good."LOL"

Bill-once you said you'd send cuttings to either side if it fell on day no one picked,I figured out I had a 3 day window. When the cold took so many I didn't figure I had a chance. Yes, it is "psycho". When does a tree hold on to such an old bloom? Then again it may hold it even longer.

radiantjade-Good luck, you may just win it yet. Peg

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:29AM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Oh so close! Foiled by the ugliest flower ever posted on this website.

Go Peg!

I would like to point out in the original post back in December...I did get the Costa Mesa weather right for February 8th. I should have been a TV weatherman :)

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:09PM
pcput

Thanks Kenny. Your better than a weather man as you got it right. I just love that ugly flower. Now if it will just let go. Someone will probably win before too much longer. I don't know what we're going to do for the rest of the winter. Maybe Bill will start a new one. When will psycho's first bloom show up? That should only be a few weeks away. Peg

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:56PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

WE HAVE A WINNER- OR BETTER TWO WINNERS. Sometime between 5:00 and 5:40 PST the ugly little bugger fell off. Therefore Laura before and Peg after (since nobody picked today) are joint winners. I have laura's address so Peg if you would check your e-mail for instructions. Bill

Peg- as far as your idea for the rest of the winter, from experience, the east coast gets flowers way before the west. Psycho usually gets started in mid May and by then the east coast is blooming like crazy.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:00PM
pcput

What great news,Bill! I'm so happy to share with Laura. Can't think of a nicer person . Even better than winning it by myself. Glad it fell today. I guess Laura put on the right amount of glue after all. Well if psycho rests until May she deserves it. What a lady! Thanks for this great game. It sure has helped to pass time. I guess by the time she blooms again, even Andrew will have seen blooms. Thanks again. Peg

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:27PM
moonie_57

Congratulations, Peg and Laura! I am so happy for the both of you!

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:54PM

Hey Guys!!!

I never thought this would ever happen!!!

Loved playing around about the blooms hanging on and the glue!! LOL.. I guess the "gods" decided to bless Peg and I.

Peg, i couldn't be more happy than to share this exciting news with you!!! I am actually speechless..

Bill.. Thank you!!! You know how much i love Psycho..

My new cutting will be donated to a good friend who will be so excited to have one of these babies!!! We all have to "pay it forward.." So , i am thrilled to win this special as well as sentimental cutting from you, Bill... To be able to make someone else's day the way you made mine years ago, means more than you know... Thank you so much for this inspiring game .

Another Psycho will grow and continue to "give" here on the East Coast.. What a gift!!!
;-)

We all had a great time watching and waiting to see when "she" would decide to drop all of her blooms. Did a gust of wind finally do it? ;-) I told the "Plumeria Gods " that i wanted just a simple "shake.." lol...

Seriously.. I am thrilled. I have never won anything, so this means so much to me. You know how i feel about cuttings from friends.

Mahalo my friend!!!

I am sooo happy!!!!

Thank you Mona!! You are so sweet!!!

Laura

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:14PM
pcput

Thanks Mona. I was sure it would NOT be me. Just like Laura, I'm not lucky winning. That's why I don't play the lottery. Hummmm, maybe I should before my luck wears off. Peg

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:19PM

Finally the suspense was killing me. LOL

Congrats Laura, Peg!

Thanks for doing that Bill.

mike

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:45AM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Congrats, I am glad both of you won. Barbra

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:02AM
elucas101(8)

Congrats to Laura and Peg! Bill thanks so much,this was a super fun game to play!

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:14AM
Kathy89

Congrats to Laura & Peg! Thanks for the fun Bill. You are so lucky to have such a great tree, thanks for sharing it.
Kathy

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:59AM
pcput

Thanks, Mike,Barbra,Emily,and Kathy it so nice to have a plant family here. Peg

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

Peg- need you to check your e-mail and respond. Bill

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
pcput

Bill, Just sent you a copy of the email sent through GW. I think their mail is getting worse. Everyone should keep this in mind if they are sending or receiving email through them. Or should I say not receiving emails. I had the same thing happen with Wendy. Thanks again Bill. Peg

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 6:50PM
jandey1(TX8)

Awesome--couldn't have gone to two NICER people! Congrats, ladies!

Peg, the cutting you so kindly sent me is hanging onto several buds, so my fingers are crossed for some rooting soon. I'll keep you posted!

Bill, thanks again for the excitement during the winter blahs.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:11AM
pcput

Thanks Jen. Glad for the update on the cutting. Hope it does well for you. Peg

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 1:17PM

Thank you Everyone!!!

Mona, Mike, Barbra,Emily and Kathy.. You all are so sweet!!

I still can't believe we won!!

Jen.. How nice of you to say that.

Mahalo my friend!! I have been thinking of you and we need to catch up!! I think your new post on the tips contest is going to be so much fun!!

Thanks again Bill.. You have made Peg and i very happy!!

Oh... Special thanks to "Psycho" She is quite the tree.

Oh, how i love that Psycho!! She will always keep us guessing!! LOL...

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:10PM
ProudMamaSD

Really fun, loving the competitions here!!!! Congrats to the two lovely winners, fate knows what she is doing.

Wendy

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:33PM

tks.. Wendy!!

xoxo

Laura

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:44PM
pcput

Thanks from me too Wendy. Your so sweet. Peg

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 1:46AM
sbrow156(Cairns QLD Australia)

Ahhh Congrats Peg and Laura!!! I was going to pick feb 12th as 12 is my lucky number and feb is my bday month but someone got to it first... funny how nobody picked the exact date but turns out well because 2 winners are def better then 1 :D congrats congrats!!

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
Plant robbers
I can't believe it! My plants are in the back yard...
angel325
Desert Rose looking nicely
Well I have had no inflo's on my plummies the past...
kevabear
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
Love Spring time ;)
Looks like an inflo on a cutting I still have in a...
chuy415
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™