Weekend #3 update

bradleyo_gwMay 26, 2012

I'm done for the weekend. Three beds down, one to go. Everything that I brought with me that goes in the ground is in except for my hardy citrus.Now I can watch my stuff grow. Next up the veggie garden. I didn't want to wait too long so I mixed in some habaneros and poblanos with my side "semi-edible" bed.

I'm goiong to try to give Jim and Will a run for their money. First time ever trying these. I'm a bit behind, but I like to use a lot of fish emulsion!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Looks awesome! You got a ton of planting done this week! Cant wait to see all of that full out, its already looking tropical!
-Alex

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 12:25PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Everything looks great! I cant believe the size of your upright EE's. Did you let them die back before digging them? Mine are only about 8" tall. But I did leave them in the ground over winter too.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 9:36PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I got my upright elephant ear bulbs in March and they didnt even make a true leaf yet! Not sure whats going on with them, the elephant ear I overwintered inside from last year has already grown 2 large leaves this season. Yours looks great Bradleyo!
-Alex

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:28PM
bradleyo_gw

I let them get hit by frost last year before digging up. I then planted almost immediately and had them going in my my grown room thru the winter. I'm hoping they can get some serious size to them this year.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 12:07PM
tropicbreezent

Looking very nice and neat. You have a good layer of mulch there. What is the palm in photos 7, 8 and 9? In photo 7 it's a bit more than halfway between the Alocasia and the Banana. In photo 8 it's the first palm going straight back behind the Alocasia.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 1:15AM
chadec(N.C.7b)

Bradleyo, I always thought they needed a period of dormacy. If they don't get back to last years size I will try that this winter.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:58PM
bradleyo_gw

tropic - the palm is a needle palm and there is another right in front of the Hopi crape in the adjacent bed.

chad - I wouldn't think they need a period of dormancy, they don't die back in South Florida, so I would guess they only die back after getting cut down by a frost.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™