Gulf Frits ---Sandy and Susan

Lisa_H OK(7)July 20, 2013

The gulf fritillaries have finally showed up!! I found a set of caterpillars last week and I gave them to a young family to raise. They told me they all went into their chrysalises and now they are waiting for the butterflies. I gave them some swallowtail cats a month or so ago too. Oh...speaking of, I need to post a pic and have you id one of them.

Today as I was pulling weeds, I watched the gulf frits dancing through my garden, laying eggs willy nilly.

Thank you so much for encouraging me to grow host plants! I'm really enjoying them!

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Lisa, so excited or you. Love the Gulf Frits. Can't wait til they make it to my place.

Sandy

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 7:29PM
Lisa_H OK(7)

Look what we spied in my garden today! My garden is full of gulf frits...best year EVER!

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 11:49PM
Lisa_H OK(7)

and a grown up pic :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 11:56PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

I like!!! Have seen one male, hoping they make it as the passion vine is out of control.

Sandy

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:54PM
Lisa_H OK(7)

Sandy I would share if I could! This has been a great year here for them. I must have swallowtails around because I have another set of babies, but I haven"t seen them.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:45PM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

That's OK, Lisa. I figure they'll make it up here eventually. Watched a Variegated Frit laying eggs today. And, I've released over a hundred Monarchs in the last two weeks. So I'm staying busy. Also have Spicebush chrysalides, Gorgone caterpillars, Goatweed Leafwing cats, Black Swallowtails, and Pipevines out the wazoo! And I forgot, a Cloudless Sulphur chrysalis! The garden is staying busy. Today the butts and the hummers were chasing each other, so I enjoyed watching them.

Sandy

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:54PM
Lisa_H OK(7)

Oh i haven't pipevine swallowtail in several years. I have food if they will show up again! It does sound like you are busy :)

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 7:42AM
Lisa_H OK(7)

I haven't seen many monarchs. I am growing asclepias and added more this year in hopes of catching a few.

It's amazing how different our areas are when we are not that far apart!

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 10:59AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Susan and I often commented on that. Don't give up on the Monarchs. If there are easterly winds during migration, they could end up going down the center of the state. Today I found more Monarch eggs--14 of them. It ain't over yet!

BTW, have you talked to Susan lately? I need to call her.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 8:17PM
Lisa_H OK(7)

No, I haven't talked to her since this early summer.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
check in, all ok? sure was windy and lots of hail
All quiet here now, near NW 14 and Villa. Sure hope,...
OklaMoni
Tomatoes in Oklahoma: Part I, Varieties/Types
We've been discussing several tomato-related topics...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
earthworm compost
Does anybody know of a place in Oklahoma where I can...
sophie
Onion question...
I haven't been on here in awhile....I couldn't sign...
ilovetoplant
Seeds
Okay. So, I was overly optimistic when I purchased...
hazelinok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™