W.robusta or W.filifera?

vobgroMay 31, 2010

Which tree is better cold tolerance? And grow fastest? Taller? Easier for maintenance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

W.Robusta is cold hardy to the low 20*s,Filifera is cold hardy to about 14* mabey lower.From what i've experienced Robustas grow faster than about any other palm.Both hold on to there old fronds that's dead, for a good amount of time.I would say Filiferas are less maintenance,because they grow slower.Good luck

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 10:25PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Filifera has better cold tolerance, but if you live dont live in a dry climate it will easily rot. Its also slower growing and shorter.
Robusta is less cold tolerant (often begining to show leaf burn around 20F or not much lower without protection and death usually at 15F without protection), but is taller growing and faster. But in a zone 8a it will need some protection just about every winter and as it gets taller it will be harder to protect.
They both require maintenence in your zone especially since they may need occasional winter protection (especiall in wet climates).

They both prefer to be on the dry side but robusta can handle moisture pretty well (except when very cold). Robustas can be seen growing in wet climates like the southeast and florida, but you wont see many if any filiferas growing there.

Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 10:34PM
jaxboro(9)

The only filiferas I have seen in all of Florida is in front of a car dealership in Panama City on 23rd Street.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™