Eggshells vs. Slugs. Does it work?

tylermaster195April 14, 2011

Last year I had a horrible time keeping slugs out of my garden. I read something about crushed egg shells. I don't want to use chemicals because of animals. So if you have tried egg shells my question is does it work? and how effective?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

How many hundred of pounds of shells do you have?

In W Washington, I'm going to say no. Slugs are such an every day part of gardening here, it takes a combination of things to keep them under control (notice I did not say gone). You could try some egg shells around some susceptible things like hosta, but you really need one of the environmentally friendly (iron phosphate) baits too like Worry Free, Sluggo, even Ortho makes one called Ecosense that is safe for children, pets, wildlife. Beer traps are helpful.

Besides the baits, I go out at night armed with a flashlight and a pump spray of 1/3 household ammonia, 2/3 water and spritz slugs - won't harm foliage, won't harm you, and they are gone in a heartbeat.

One more tip, be persistent and stay on top of them well into Fall - Fall, because that's when most eggs are being laid. I'm baiting just about every month but January.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 9:00PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Sorry, they don't work. That's what slime is for -- to protect against sharp stuff.

Beyond that, do as the previous post suggests -- be persistent and you can limit their damage. But know that you won't be able to stop them. No one can.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 1:12AM
tylermaster195

Well I work in a bakery and we use at least a box of 15 dozen eggs a day. How well does coffee work? if you have tried it. I will probably do some beer traps (Hope the dog doesn't get to them first...) and will try the slug bait. How do normally apply? around the base of the plant or perimeter of the garden?

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 11:29AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

around the base of the plant or perimeter of the garden? - Both.

Coffee - does not work at all.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™