Advise on New Garden Layout with Developed Tree

bsternadFebruary 18, 2014

My wife and I recently tore out a large quantity of overbearing and invasive plants. and invasive plants. We were left with a pile of dirt and our beautiful plumeria tree. We already lined the tree with lavender and are looking for another plant to place in the open dirt area between the lavender and plumeria that will complement the tree when it is bare of leaves and 2. assist in the overall health through retaining ground moisture.

Any advise or suggestions on our developing garden OR the overall health of our tree? Photos taken 2/18/14.

http://imgur.com/a/GJNP1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kostas_g

I would plant a cycad dead center,in front of the trunk and maybe even a nice but relatively narrow evergreen tree behind the Plumeria,like a loquat or mandarin tree,which I would let tower and spread above. But I think I do see a tree behind and to the right of the Plumeria,so I would let that one spread a bit above the plumeria. But thats just me and I like going with the "jungle" theme...

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 6:51PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi!!!

Welcome to the forum!!

I personally like the look of your tree as it is right now! The beauty of the lower limbs and how well it has spread at a lower level looks wonderful!!
It isn't like some that are tall and lanky, so you have done a great job already.

The idea of making it a circular bed would be appealing to me ( enclosing the circle of lavender) then when it is bare you have a clean look. I like things simple and clean so I like the look if you closed the bed. Maybe some succulents if you would like inside. The tree has so much natural beauty as is .. But I like the look of bare trees.. It reminds me of the living tree!!

My suggestion is to enclose the bed, add some mulch.. Viola! You have made a beautiful focal point to the bed.. The tree!!!

Thanks for the beauty!!

Laura

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:50PM
isobea(10, San Diego)

Hi, I agree with Laura. I would leave the tree as the focal point. Also, if you decide to plant something inside the circle, when choosing the plants take into consideration that once the tree has leaves, there will be dense shade.
Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.
Iso

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 1:10PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Very nice.

Mulch and a low wattage LED flood set to uplight the tree structure is the only thing i would add to it.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 2:21PM
rox146

how about a nice bird bath in a great color to complement the colors in the setting? roxanne

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 2:34PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Oh Roxanne, you're always with the colors that I'd love to have but no room... Love the idea!

Mima

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:40PM
rox146

after thinking more about this.....just a small soft ZEN wind chime would be way cool, along with the bird bath.... roxanne

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™