Plants dying midsummer and some white stuff

don_el848484April 15, 2012

I've planted flowers in this bed, usually marigolds,for 20 years without problems. In midsummer 2010 the marigolds started to die. I didn't see any signs of disease, just dead plants. In 2011 I planted sunflowers and the same thing happened. Jst now, April 2012, I found a lot of the leftover mulch coated with something white. Some straggling root systems were also entirely white. I am (obviously) clueless here. Any help appreciated.

Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Can be normal or can be a disease. Need images to know for certain.

In what state do you live?

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 8:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've seen situations that fit your description in gardens where the mulch has been allowed to stagnate for a long time. This occurs when layers of mulch are applied over the top of older mulch...over and over again. A mycelium growth develops on the mulch (white, fuzzy) that becomes hydrophobic; soil underneath this kind of stuff can actually begin to turn anaerobic.

BMPs (best management practices) should include that the old mulch be physically mixed with new at each application. At the very least, the old mulch should be stirred around with a rake before a new layer is applied.

This is merely a SUGGESTION based on a very limited description. Would it be possible for you to provide some good, close-up images for us to see of the white stuff?

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™