My Pepper Bonsai!

TCollFebruary 3, 2014

Hey all, it's been a while since i posted but I figure Id share. Here is a photo of 2 Bonsai peppers are started in december. The older one (on the left) is a chinese 5 color. It already wants to bloom but I have been continually trimming it back to get bushier growth. The other is a serrano that I just started. Just thought Id share.

Also, for those interested, there is a really cool boardgame being kickstarted called Scoville. Its a game where the players are hybridizing and breeding peppers to get the hottest peppers they can! Worth a looksy as the game looks quit nice. Anyway, happy new year to you all and I look forward to more pepper growing with my new set up. The link for that kickstarter is as follows:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kickstarter for the boardgame Scoville

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

This is totally fun! I know of bonsai plants, but not all that much... Will the produce tiny sized peppers too eventually?

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:07PM
TColl

yes they will, I have been clipping the flowers however. Once the canopy is sufficiently bushy ill let it flower and fruit. (another month perhaps)

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 9:20PM
tomt226

That's cool. I'd try it with Tepins, but then I'd have to have tweezers and a magnifying glass to pick... ;-)

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 5:58AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

They look nice.
The pods should still be about the same size.
The fruit doesn't reduce well.

Josh

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:01AM
TColl

Thanks guys, yeah the fruit will be (from what I understand) similarly sized, which is why i used 2 small fruiting plants... The chinese 5 color gets pods that are an inch max and the serrano variety I am growing gets pods that are about 1/3rd the size of what is commonly grown. That being said this is my first attempt. This year I am gowing to grow some of these varieties in a topsy turvy upside-down in order to get some extreme curvature in the trunk and make a lot more interest in the bonsai itself. Ill post pics when im further down the road.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™