bug i.d help, please-- on tangerine

dicotApril 11, 2012

don't recognize this guy, overly nervous about citrus bugs since the Asian psyllid scare (which this isn't). Any thoughts on what this is?

If the huanglongbing disease pops up around here, I'm hosed. Do not want to spray everything, after working so hard to get my yard fully organic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

young katydid. seldom a problem.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:38AM
JimR36(5b CO)

It's a very hazy picture, and I'm not sure how what young katydids look like, but my impression is that it's something like a milkweed assassin bug or young leaffooted bug. At least the body looks similar to me, though the legs look very long. It's hard to gauge the size as well.

Great to see/hear that you are using organic principles. Keep that up! There are plenty of natural substances that can be used that are annoying to critters, and keep them away.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:54AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Jim, look at those lovely back legs, which are perfectly suited to jumping. That should be your primary visual clue to the identity of this little thing. ;-) If you google katydid nymph, you'll see lots of images that match this one.

dicot, katydids are rarely present in enough numbers to do much damage (they chew the foliage). They are also a favorite food for such predators as spiders, mantids, dragonflies, assassin bugs, birds, lizards, etc. I'd leave it....looks like somebodies lunch, to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: katydid nymph

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:53PM
dicot

Thanks for the help, all. Man, there are some goofy looking katydids when one use google images, huh? The conehead katydid in particular looks perfectly suited to becoming the next teen viral internet meme, somehow.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:25PM
dicot

... but not if I'm in charge of digital image codes.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:28PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

lolol

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™