Help birds eating my grass seed!!!!!!!!

princess01April 21, 2007

I live on Oahu, and we just finished planting grass seed. Lucky for me I have a lab top computer so that I can write this well chasing the birds. We used a ryegrass seed mix. How can I get rid of the birds for now? I am not sleeping out here. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

I heard these from people who claimed that they had the same problem. It's based on their observation that birds will not feed on germinated seed.
1)Sow the seeds late in the day and really water them in. 2)Soak the seeds in a non toxic coloring solution to give them a color; deep blue was her recommendation.
3)Sow the twice the quantity of seeds and get them germinating as quickly as possible. He felt that the birds were entitled.
There was one guy who gave up. He put out bird seed when he put down grass seed. "The squirrels ate the bird seed; the birds ate the grass seed!"

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 6:57AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Birds eat seeds, grass seed, flower seed, sunflower seed, millet, whatever. The only way to keep them from eating seed is to cover it so they cannot find it. If raking the seed into the soil is not an option then covering it with straw wil be necessary.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 7:35AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Granted, I don't know much about the climate of Oahu, but Ryegrass seems an odd choice for this time of year. No comment about the bird situation....just curious about the ryegrass! ;-)

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 5:49PM
goromney

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 17:49

Granted, I don't know much about the climate of Oahu, but Ryegrass seems an odd choice for this time of year. No comment about the bird situation....just curious about the ryegrass! ;-)

Well you see,rhizo,the ryegrass smokes a little better than the labrador.Thanks for your concern.

For the birds question,try spreading grass cuttings on top of the seeds.

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™