bottle palm

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)June 19, 2012

Hi

My neighbors bottle palm is going to flower . Only took 14 years lol Is still under 15 feet and suffered terribly during the winters of 08/09 guess the unusually warm winter of 11 was the trick ?? It;s not a particularly attractive specimen but may give me some seeds to fiddle with lol??? gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyandy(6bMI)

wow 14 years, they are slow growers. i have two potted that I started from seed about 4 years old and they don't even have a foot of trunk. One of mine is starting to "look" like a bottle palm, with a swollen base.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:25PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I got mine as a seedling a few years back, I gave up after 4 years because even though it grew, it never actually looked like it grew. They are very slow, you can try some seeds, but if you want a nice plant in this decade, your definitely going to have to buy one!
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:27PM
houstonpat(9a)

HD sells jumbo ones as landscaping trees in Houston. I tried all my tricks to get large bottle and spindles through the winters outdoors to no avail. Now moving medium sized ones indoors, in windows for winter.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 4:58PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
I think the slow growth is a terrific advantage .So many palms quickly outgrow the area . It is interesting to note the various ones in my neighbor hood particularly the development of the "bulb. Runaway best is one in a ceramic pot easily wider than tall and I know it's been there for at least 20 years MUCH more interesting than those in the ground and talk about easy care lol
On a side note a Bismark palm planted in 1980 is seeding for the first time . Now that's slow?? lol gary

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 3:38AM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™