Aiphanes minima seed germination

KABirdJune 16, 2013

High all ;-)

I just recieved a gift of about two dozen aiphanes minima seeds and after hours of web searches with no real info yet found, am hoping someone here might be able to offer some info.

I have already started the "Standard" soaking routine, and think I will use the "Zip-Loc" method with a mix of pearl-lite, vermiculite and sand.

Thanks Again

Keith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I use mainly zip-loc or those plastic food containers, usually works well for me. If you maintain an even warmth it should be okay. I've never tried any Aiphanes but have seen them growing. In your climate you'll have to keep them indoors, that will be interesting if all germinate and grow well, LOL.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 3:00AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
Have you tried the various Palm societies.??? According to PACSOA " Very easy temps above 80 very moist.1/ 2 months ." i was always put off by the thorns lol Good luck gary

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:34AM
KABird

Thanks TropicalBreeze and Gary for the replies ;-)

I have grown about a dozen different Sabal Types from seed to showing nice first costapalmate leaves (I Know, But I'm new at it), a few different cycads but many other tropicals from seed over the past 35 years, mostly playing and wanting to see if I could.

I certainly would never have even tried the Aiphanes due to the spines and my grand children loving to look at what Grandpa is growing, but as they were free, I figured I would share half of them with a good friend who is a Palm and Cycad collecter and give the remaining a shot for my ever growing collection.

If anyone would like to add some info on growing these beasts, that would be great.

Thanks Again

Keith

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 3:39PM
KABird

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!

Spiny little ones are coming up!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I will pot up from the zip-loc into 1g's and try and get pictures. Right at two weeks with one day soak.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:51PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
I just noticed some sprouts on what I believe are Ptychosperma elegans . Sown on the 23 Sept.
I'd almost given up. Know it's not supposed to take that long but won't argue with success lol
Congrats on yours !! That is really fast!!! gary

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 4:45AM
More Discussions
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
How to graft palm?
Hi How to graft palm?
iskhan
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Need Help With My Bamboo Plant
I needed to add some nature and greenery to my townhouse,...
talya_dee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™