Eliminating Groundhogs

mrsbeasley(4a Northern Ont)May 3, 2013

My 10 acre field is overrun with Groundhogs, They make mounds so high the mower gets hung up on them. This year they gotta go, so my intent is to find ALL their entrances, and then eliminate the groundhogs.

I would like to make smudge sticks or smoke sticks, stick them down the known holes, and mark where the smoke comes up. I have a quantity of tent pegs with bright orange tape tied to them at the ready, and my plan is to watch the field for smoke, and go to where the smoke is exiting the ground and mark it.

Can anyone advise me on how to make a stick that makes very visible smoke.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Although Groundhogs, Woodchucks, are burrowers they do not make tunnels, so if what you have are tunnels yiu probably have a mole. If you are to use a smoke bomb to control a Groundhog you will need to find its burrow, home. and use that smoke bomb while the animal is in.
Live trapping may be an option, if Ontario allows you to transport the critter somplace else.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Groundhogs

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:40AM
mrsbeasley(4a Northern Ont)

They are, indeed groundhogs. I've seen them. I've had moles and voles too, but it's the groundhogs that are destroying my field. Groundhogs build mounds that one of them will sit on and watch for predators. Because a groundhog's den has multiple entrances, It's my intent to find each and every exit, and place traps at every one of them. I want these groundhogs gone. Does anyone know how to make a smoke stick?

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:13AM
dogmummy

I don't know how to make a smoke stick but we had trouble with groundhogs last year and we removed a family of them by dumping very soapy water into each hole (about a bucket full). Apparently they don't like the soap and they abandon the hole then move on.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:51PM
GardenGreenThumb

Hi mrsbeasley~I'm an expert in getting rid of groundhogs, I hunt them all the time! (for farmers, near buildings and livestock too) I do most of this in SW Ontario, NW of Arthur. (roughly) I don't charge for this, and would be happy to discuss it further with you if you'd like to email me. If you're in a built-up area, you might need to resort to an alternative solution, but if you're in the country, I might be able to help.

Please email me hipwader@sympatico.ca Thanks!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™