Bell pepper problems

richdelmoMay 25, 2012

I also posted this on the vegetable forum but thought I would have better luck here. This has been happening on my bell peppers for the past several growing seasons. Not sure what it is I've been checking them regularly including after dark but have not seen anything yet. This is also a new location for them this year. The holes are certainly chewing insects but the spotty discoloration appears to be a fungas of some sort. The first picture notice the right side has lost two leaves that were severely discolored and broke off just by me touching them. I have spayed a Need oil mixture twice now and have use an oil and soap spray but no luck yet. BTW I also have one pepper in a container with miracle grow potting mix and that plant is starting to get the discoloration on its leaves Any idea or suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

rich_manure, the spots remind me of a description - water soaked - indicating a fungus but at the link below, they suggest low light and high moisture. Although the site is about indoor plants, it is the conditions that really matter.
LINK

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 7:58AM
calliope(6)

Did this appear after you used oil on your pepper plants for the chewing insects? It really looks like phytotoxicity to me. Peppers can really get their foliage messed up with oil sprays. It's sometimes necessary, depending on the type of insect, but the leaves do look like this and they do fall. If it is from oil damage, they plant will outgrow it.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 11:22PM
richdelmo

Not certain if it was after spraying or not, but I did purchase more plants and planted them is various sections of my garden in areas where I never grew vegetables before and they too are starting to get the same problem. All other plants are fine except my Zinias which have very similar symptoms. I really want some fresh peppers but not looking likely.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Black/brown dots on basil, diamond-shaped bugs
Hello, So, something has been injuring my basil plant....
yotekai
Brush cerry transplant shock HELP!
just bought this brush cherry,3 days after I got it...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™