round yellow eggs in soil

norabanzhofMay 25, 2008

Hi. Really hoping someone can help with id'ing what type of insect lays yellow eggs underground. Last year I planted a butterfly bush, which thrived then, but did not come back this spring. When I dug it up, there were tons of small yellow to very pale yellow (almost white) eggs. When squeezed, some were empty and some had whitish gunk in them. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I could have sworn that I answered this, but I guess not! Anyway, slug eggs look very much like slow-release fertilizer prills (like Osmocote) after they've absorbed water for a few months. Could be either of those.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 2:44PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Slug eggs are uniformly-sized and rubbery, also either clear or whitish.

Osmocote is crunchy and golden, the pieces not uniform. When spent, they match your descriptiuon of "When squeezed, some were empty and some had whitish gunk in them."

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 2:47PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

and if you used.. or the pot contained an abundance of slow release fertilizer.. with the wrong formula for your zone... especially applied directly to the trunk/crown/roots

you could have been heavily fertilizing your plant very late in the year.. when it should have been hardening off for a long hard winter like we have in z5/6 ...

which could lead to death ...

slug can not kill a shrub in my estimation ...

ken

PS: i can not grow a butterfly bush in z5 for more than one winter.. i question their hardiness ... and if you had a particularly hard winter in zone 6 ... it may have died.. just to spite you .... i wouldnt worry about it.. but i personally wouldnt replace it ..

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 7:52PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Butterfly Bush is not winter hardy in z6. They might survive if you treated them like roses. Remember BB like well drained soil on the dry side.

In southern NM, I water mine only when we haven't had rain in several month, like now (6 months worth), then deeply ever two months. BB can be trimmed back to 6 - 12 inches from the ground.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:11PM
norabanzhof

Thanks for all your responses...you really helped! I do believe the mystery egg are osmocote. I am bummed that butterfly bushes don't thrive in our zone. Anyway, thanks again!

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 6:35AM
elizabethathompson

I recently discovered that there are yellow fungus type insect eggs growing in my garden. I cut it out of my monkey grass and realized that it was filled with a spider web type material inside. The ones I removed from the wood around the garden contained soil. Anyone have an idea of what insect could be invading my garden?

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Sponsored Products
Gus Modern | Sudbury Round Dining Table
YLiving.com
George Kovacs | Bling Bang 5-Light Pendant Light
$498.00 | YLighting
Lilac 32" Round Brezza Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Myrtus Beige 8' Round
Home Depot
Radley Hanging Copper Bird House - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware