Growth on Underside of Leaves

TechnoChimp(8)March 13, 2014

I've noticed this strange growth on the bottom of the leaves on my ghost chili plant. At first I was wondering if it was some sort of salt buildup from the fertilizer, but I'm not seeing any burning on the ends of the leaves. The tips of the leaves are actually much shinier on the top side directly above the growth. When I pick at it, it crushes and liquid comes out. I was reading about edema, but all the pictures I found show it spread out across the leaf rather than all bunched together. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

Definitely leaf oedema as you thought. Have the same thing happening to a few of mine right now as well. Just leave it be and it'll be fine. I wouldn't crush anymore of the pockets though, as that's destroying the plant cells.

Jay

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 9:26AM
TechnoChimp(8)

Alright, I'll leave it be. I've opened the door of my greenhouse to let the humidity down in case the excess humidity is contributing. I've noticed that in stone spots the oedema has Eben broke holes through the leaves. Hopefully this won't harm the plant to much. Either way, baking off the watering for a while and sitting by.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 10:51AM
woohooman

That's unlike any edema pic I've seen. I'd post the pic in the Garden Clinic forum.

Kevin

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:06AM
morugaman

Agreed with woohooman, I have had this issue but that looks intense. Do all of your leafs have that.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:18AM
morugaman

Agreed with woohooman, I have had this issue but that looks intense. Do all of your leafs have that.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:19AM
TechnoChimp(8)

Moruga,

Most of the leaves on this plant have this going on. Some of the leaves on other plants have a very minor version of this which looks more like the typical pictures of leaf edema. Most of the other plants look fine. I've been trying to follow recommendations to water the plants heavily until water drains from the drain holes, but I think I'm going to start doing light watering after this one has dried back out.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Did my heater fail?
I am not sure what happened yesterday the where fine....
T S
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Pepper Plant issue
I have some curling and deformation on some of my pepper...
Ryan Shea
First orange hab pods forming
With the spring weather conditions outside setting in...
SoCarRob (Zone 7)
Sponsored Products
PH 3/2 Table Lamp
Design Within Reach
Lush Spring Radiance Crystal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Align 4 Piece Upholstered Sectional Sofa in Charcoal
$1,159.00 | LexMod
Matte Black 16-Inch One Light Chain Hung Pendant with Autumn Leaves Tiffany Glas
$160.60 | Bellacor
Marset | Funiculi Floor Lamp
$396.00 | YLighting
Franklin Rectangular Rustic Brown End Table - 202-OT1020
$244.00 | Hayneedle
Floral Blossom Chaise Lounge Chair with Cushion
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Imperial Collection Antique Bronze 1-Light P
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™