A different try at rooting

mbellotMarch 19, 2012

Having had zero success with rooting my Bhut cuttings I had resigned myself to giving up.

Until I found this "stuff" at Menards called Gel2Root. It looked too good to be true, so I figured I'd blow $4 (for two cups) and give it a try.

It looks like clear Jell-o and claims to have all the nutrients and water necessary to develop a new root system "in only a couple weeks". Since it's clear I can keep an eye on the actual progress.

Here is the first pic (of hopefully many) just a few minutes after starting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07

Mbellot:

At Menards huh? Well, that is a neat idea. You can actually see the roots develop. In my cutting experiment, the one is still alive from last December. I had two Hot Hungarian Wax and one Bhut. The Bhut and one Hot Hung Wax died. And I coincidentally transplanted it today into a soil mix that I think will be much better than what it was in. Hopefully it begins to grow now as it hadn't really grown much in almost three months. But it did have roots. When I pulled it from the old soil, I think I tore off a couple roots but there was still one very long one still attached. So, we shall see.
I might look into some of that stuff you got there on my next visit to Menards.
Bruce

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 1:27AM
habjolokia

Any updates? If it works I will have to get some.

Mark

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 2:02PM
nc_crn

It looks like agar gel with nutrients (and perhaps some moisture bead technology, dunno).

You might want to enclose (without the clear enclosure touching the leaves) the top of the cutting until the plant gets a chance to put out some roots. It doesn't have to be a tight fit, just enough to keep humidity on the leaves which helps water from leaving the leaves.

Keeping moisture in the leaves until the roots get a chance to develop enough to uptake water is a lot more important than the soil you're starting your cuttings in, imo.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 5:01PM
mbellot

Nothing much to report yet.

Plant looks about the same as the original picture.

nc-crn, that's interesting, maybe I'll toss a ziplock bag over it to help keep the moisture local to the plant.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 5:22PM
esox07

Yes, definitely cover it with something clear. NC-CM is correct that the plant will have a tough time right now maintaining its moisture level with no roots. Once you have established roots, you can remove it. Just don't place it in direct sun or you may cook it.
Bruce

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™