Any advice on grafting?

mjhuntingtonbeachMarch 9, 2013

I don't have unlimited space in the yard and I have a large-ish Samoan Fluff taking up a fair amount of space. It is a pleasant flower, blooms reliably, but I find that there is nothing very interesting about it, and no fragrance at all that I can detect. I was thinking about either removing it, and planting a Wildfire to take its place, or taking a stab at trying to graft maybe three different varieties that are more colorful, or more fragrant, or both to add some interest and take advantage of 8 years of established root system.

The only three branches that I would think to graft onto are very thick. Has anyone had any experience trying to graft a normal sized branch cutting, maybe one or two years old, onto a much thicker branch several years older?

Attached are photos of the full tree, and the lower branch structure showing three main thick offshoots that I was thinking of attempting to graft onto.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DelWH

Others with much more experience will comment but from what I understand, the cutting you were grafting to the branch would have to be about the same diameter as the branch as the cambium layers must line up to be successful.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™