Palm trees in NewYorkCity

royalpalm321June 14, 2009

I went to Rockaway beach Queens,NYC,it was the dead of winter temperatures were in the typical mid 30s.I noticed a small bush like palm growing right out of the sand.They were real becuase i tore off a small part of the frond.I couldnt believe these were palm trees growing in the south coast of NewYork city zone 7.I thought it was really cool

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donaldb(5B Worcester, MA)

There are a few cold hardy palm trees that, with proper care, will grow in the Northeast. Many people have had success with them, including myself. To have it growing by itself is pretty cool.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 9:30AM
eli17zn6

You know where in Rockaway beach in Queens is palm bush located at?

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 5:15PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

I wonder if these "palm bushes" from 2009 made it. Rockway beach is located within the most southern NYC limits with apartment buildings planted right in the sand. They have less snow and more wind/rain in our winter coastal storms. With the Rockaways direct proximity to the ocean, a needle plam or even a Tracky planted close to the building facing south would not even need winter shelter. The Ocean temp rarely drops below the mid-upper 40s at its cold peak.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 2:49PM
jimhardy

Sounds like some Needle palms.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:36PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

They could be needle palms, but I would imagine that they would have to be taking a ridiculous amount of neglect. Most bullet proof cold hardy trees cant grow along the beach (Ive only seen hollies and pines growing close to the water around here) so for a marginally hardy palm tree to be growing well is pretty impressive.
Any chance that they weren't yuccas. They are very very popular here (I have seen at least 10-20 species) and they can handle a lot of neglect. A pic might help a lot or at least a location so someone can check them out!
-Alex

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:36PM
statenislandpalm7a(7a)

I think its probably yuccas. ive seen them growing wild at a beach in Staten island

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 6:12PM
jacklord(7A)

Spent a whole lot of time in the Rockaways back in the day. If you get the chance, check out the ruins of Fort Tilden. Tons of old bunkers that are mega overgrown. Has an Indiana Jones/Everglades feel to it.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 1:29PM
brooklyngreg(7a NYC coastal plain)

The apartment buildings there are a few blocks from the ocean and if a needle plam was planted facing south with the building sheilding it from north winds it would survive there. Maybe the person mistaken a yucca for a palm but I would think someone on this forum may know better. Perhaps someone planted another type of palm that did not make it.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Need Help With My Bamboo Plant
I needed to add some nature and greenery to my townhouse,...
talya_dee
Me little plants just atsrting out
If you look close you can see the Y.Rostrata,variegated...
jimhardy
Mexican Fan Palm Tree - Fronds Turning Yellow/Brown
Hi everyone, I live north of Dallas, TX and have a...
RedRayderz01
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
Sponsored Products
Palm Lane Large Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Square Pagoda Top Calligraphy Clock, Width - 9 Inches
$49.00 | Bellacor
Ornament Star LED Yard Art
$89.99 | zulily
Cascade Lantern Mountain Deer 13" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Footed Palm Ice Tea Glasses
Classic Hostess