Cleyera (Ternstroemia gymnanthera) disease...

bobbi_p(z8/9 Cypress, TX)May 13, 2010

Everything I've read this morning indicates these shrubs are pest/disease free with the exception of occasional scale.

I have a row at the back of my front foundation plantings. In front of them, Indian Hawthornes (Rhaphiolepis indica) appear fine. (When we purchased this house, I was prepared to deal with their notorious problems with fungal disease. I'm pretty sure the building landscaper didn't take the time to ensure he'd planted a fungus resistant variety.)

When the 1st 2 shrubs lost a brach each (next to each other) a couple of weeks ago, I delicately asked hubby if he'd gotten them with Round-up, which he emphatically denies!

This morning, a visual check indicates I have a 3rd shrub suffering...

But.... these are supposed to be disease-"free" shrubs. Can you take a look at my photobucket album with notes/comments and render your opinions? Is this fungal and is it a losing battle?

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/bendpierson/Cleyera%20Disease/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cvetence

Hi,
I came across your post and was wondering if you found out what was causing the die-back? I am having the same problem. I planted 20 cleyeras in a row in April-10, and they all seamed to be growing, some more than a foot over the summer. Than in September I lost one, and I just saw another one starting to lose one branch. The two plants aren't even next to each other.
Were you able to save your plants? I'll appreciate your comments.

Cheers!

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Can I fix these split branches?
I have two different bushes/shrubs that have split...
dblank
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™