super infestation ?

eyesofthewolf(8b)May 15, 2010

Ok so I can Identify alot of the big bugs and even aphids ect, but does anyone know what the heck these are?

Discription: when grouped together in a massive herd they are a smoky baby blue color, they jump pretty high considering their size, they don`t seem to be feeding on anything that I can tell, other bugs are ignoring them other bugs being ants, spiders and flys.

location: a newly built cedar frame, contents new compost, native clay soil, green sand, dry molassas, epsoma garden tone, bone meal, composted cow manure, topped with mulch of native wood shreds, they are not attacking the newly planted squash, onion, spinich, cucumber, they seem to be huddled up in the corners of the box.

I have searched the internet as well as I can and am coming up with no answers that fit, So I am asking here, maybe I can find out if they are friend or foe. Thank you for reading through this long explaination. I appreciate all responses.:o)Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Springtails maybe? They eat mold, mildew and decaying matter. They are only a pest if you can't stand the sight of them.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 4:34PM
eyesofthewolf(8b)

If the little buggers don`t eat my plants they are fine to do whatever they do. I just freaked out because there were SO MANY of them but if they are just breaking down the wood and eating mold then they are welcome the more the merrier! Thanks taz! :o)Deanna

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 9:02PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'm saying that they are springtails, also. Typical of behavior and are often seen in those kinds of numbers.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™