Brown fungus (stemonitis slime mold) in herb planter

Dorothy0220(7)May 11, 2014

Help! This brown fuzzy fungus has appeared since yesterday on my herb planters. I've ID'ed it as brown stemonitis slime mold, and I see it appears on decaying wood and it's harmless UNLESS EATEN. Great, since it's on my herbs that get EATEN!!! It's on the edge of the planter, on three of the herbs, and all over the soil too.
How do I get rid of it???
A little background, it's in cedar planters that were replaned and finished (in a food-safe finish) from old raised beds and planted in miracle gro potting soil. We just had two days of rain here in Atlanta after a blasting hot sunny week prior.
Please, please, please, no comments as to how cool the mold is. Every other thread I've read across the internet gets sidetracked as soon as someone mentions that. I just want to get rid of it. Science discussions later, please! :-)
Thanks!

This post was edited by Dorothy0220 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 14:35

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dorothy0220(7)

Here's a close-up of it on the chamomile.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:20PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Rinse it off the plants, slime molds don't infect plant tissues. Then, physically remove it from the soil and any other surfaces. Perhaps a moist cloth with some peroxide or vinegar might help (on the wood, not the plants) .

But there's no magic treatment for slime molds because they are not considered a problem in any category but aesthetics. Not a mold, not a fungus, not a pest. Those who don't like their appearance should simply physically remove them.

BUT! I've just gotta say it......it's pretty darned unique stuff, as far as slime molds go. Very cool. :-)

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:50PM
Dorothy0220(7)

rhizo_1,
Thanks so much for the input as well as your restraint! ð Now that I know how to get rid of it (or not, as the case may be), feel free to wax poetic about the beauty and coolness of this slime mold! Who knew?

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Spots on my apple tree leaves
Hi, Spots have been appearing on my new apple trees....
nat9510
Seedlings being cut by pest
My precious seedlings are being decapitated by an unknown...
tomatosensei
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™