Michelia alba ant invasion

Katie1747May 1, 2014

I have Michelia alba, recently I've noticed ants laying their eggs on several buds. I've never had that before. I was wondering if someone can help me. What should I do? I want the tree to stay healthy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Katie1747

Here's another picture

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 2:45PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Those aren't eggs, but aphids. Aphids excrete a sugary substance that attract the ants. Go after the aphids with fairly strong streams of water and keep them off.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 3:22PM
Katie1747

Thank you for your reply, what do you think, can I spray garlic water? Will it harm the plant?

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 4:16PM

What I think is that you can knock them off with sprays of plain water. As to whether the garlic spray would hurt your plant....depends on what else you add to the spray.

I know that some people think that aphids don't 'like ' garlic. That's pretty silly considering that aphids love garlic, lol. The ingredient that probably works in a garlic spray is the oil. Applied in too much heat, oils can injure plant tissues. I sure wouldn't spray flowers or buds with anything but water.

Use your fingers, too....to smoosh them.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 8:44AM
shear_stupidity(9B)

I think they look like the same White Footed Ants I've been having problems with. Here is a link to my post and others' solutions and guidance on the matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web WFA link

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 10:56AM

The aphids are the issue, not the ants. I'm not sure how you can determine the species of ants from the images. How'd you do it?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:06PM
shear_stupidity(9B)

*shrug* I could be wrong. Just sharing my opinion based on my experience with ants that farm aphids:

1. I have been battling them since last year, so their appearance is very familiar to me.
2. Now that I know where to look and what to look for, I see them everywhere.
3. They're notorious aphid farmers.
4. In the first picture if you zoom in, you can see that their feet "disappear," probably because they're white.
5. If you look at a lot of pictures of common black ants that farm aphids, you will notice that WFA's have an oversized rear end, as do these.
6. In the second picture, the way they are all clustered together is another common WFA characteristic.

WFA's cluster together and don't move while they "share information." Not many ants will stand completely still in the same way. They stand in these clusters, immobile, for so long... then suddenly they all scurry into action at the same time.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:24PM
Katie1747

Thanks everyone for the reply. I killed some of them to send the chemical message to get out, as well as I sprayed them off with water, I'll check everyday if they'll come back.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 3:17PM

Katie, just out of curiosity....what is your general location?

Thanks, shear!

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:32PM
Katie1747

rhizo_1, my location is the sunny Florida

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™