bird pepper plants from seed, tips?

abacoianMarch 10, 2008

I haven't had any success germinating any yet? I planted them in potting soil and put them outside. Should the temperature be warm for best results? I'm in Florida so it's usually warm but some nights this winter have been chilly.

And I read that if I do get a tree I should plant it in partail shade, would it be the same for germination or should I leave it in the sun until it propogates?

And does this type of seed need alot of water or just a few times a week?

I greatly appreciate your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I would germinate them inside and keep them warm.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 11:14AM
sir_lurksalot(10a Ca.)

Tepines?
Tuff plant to get to sprout, I've had best luck just forgetting about them and keep them with the rest of the plants while watering. After a month you might see some thing, or try the tea solution. Maybe some of those brain guys can chime in on this, but I think Tepines are one of those seeds that like to go through a birds digestive system to sprout?

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 8:00PM
willardb3

Tepins germinate in about the same time and at about the same rate as any other chile seed. Give them bottom heat at 80-85F.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 12:06PM
scoville(9)

i've had mine on a heating pad 1 week,no result...but my thais,naga jolokia,and thanks to pepper rancher my lemon drops are off to the races!

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 10:43PM
donandsara(NE OH z6)

Last year, I had "Wild Bird" seed from Fiedlermeister. I was out of room in the trays and just put 6 seeds in a small plastic container. I don't remember if I soaked 'em or not. I did get one very healthy plant, over 2' tall, with loads of tiny tasty hot peppers.

I recommend germinating inside on a heat mat.

I still have 8 seeds left, will share half (4) if you want em. email me @ kj5kb@hotmail.com

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™