Wilting palm tree

benwood75June 11, 2014

Hi all,

I have a palm tree in my garden that is looking unwell!

I believe it's a Phoenix palm and the leaves are looking frayed and ragged. They are also droopy. It is about 15-20 feet tall and needs pruning as it going over the fence into the neighbours garden! Please advise why it might be drooping and if it's ok to prune?

Many thanks
Ben

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benwood75

Here is another pic that might give you a better idea!

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:35PM
benwood75

Another pic

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 3:37PM
tropicbreezent

Doesn't look to be anything particularly wrong with it. Probably a Phoenix canariensis, but they hybridise with other Phoenix so there's a lot of mixtures around. Their fronds normally bend or droop like that. Some people trim the fronds and only leave the upright ones, but that's a very artificial situation. As new fronds emerge the older upright ones will bend and droop. And if that tree has just come out of a cold winter then yellowing and frayed leaflets are not unusual either. From those photos I'd say there's nothing really to worry about.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:33PM
benwood75

Great, thanks. So you think I'm ok to trim the ones that are invading the neighbours garden?

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 3:37AM
bradleyo_gw

It looks healthy to me, except it was planted waaaay too close to the house. I wouldn't trim any green fronds, trimming green is like starving the plant of it's own food. You should never trim a frond until it's completely brown. Your climate looks as if it will eventually grow out of it, however it will be quite a while before it's tall enough that it won't be a nuisance. You will have to constantly trim healthy tissue which will result in the overall decline of the palm. It's already over-trimmed. If I were you, I would see if you could sell it, or have somebody dig it up and take it for free. Not an ideal palm for that location.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:48PM
benwood75

Another pic

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 8:35AM
benwood75

Another pic

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™