Great start to the 2011 growing season
This morning I counted no less than seventy inflos on my collection of plumerias. Many infos are already over an inch long and have developed on plants without any leaf production. I am very excited about 2011 and I owe my success to many of the discussions I've read in this forum. There are several key items I've discovered along the way.
a. If you do a search on this forum for "tdogdad" or "kimisdad" you will find answers to 95% of your questions. And from my experience not one bit of information they've provided has been wrong. Very knowledgeable men. The other 5% of their information pertains to their unique growing zones or growing styles. It was excellent reading over the winter.
b. Spray N Grow works. It really, really does! My plumerias responded to foliar feeding extremely well. I didn't notice how much until after they lost their leaves and I was able to see how much bigger their trunks and branches had become. Last year was the first time I used Spray N Grow.
c.If you can handle delayed gratification...pruning your plumerias will set you up the following year for greater flower production. After Florida's record breaking winter in 2009, I had to prune several of my plants due to frost damage. They responded during the following year with more branches and now I'm experiencing double the amount of inflos. I'm no longer afraid to prune!
d. Plumerias do turn into trees..big ones...lol
e. You can't go wrong with rain water. My plumerias were kept outside during this winter and experienced many heavy down pours during their dormancy period with no ill affects. They loved water during their dormancy period.I am now collecting rain water for them.
d. Fertilizer...I use a combination of Super Thrive, 15-30-15 fertilizer, seaweed extract and SNG. I am very happy with the results. One note...I did not see a difference between using this formula fertilizer compared the high(50) middle numbered ones.
e. I now collect plumerias because of their scents not colors anymore. I've found that some of the very best scents come from white flowers. My favorites are the Singapores, Jeannie Moragne and Kapaluas.
f. I've purchased plumerias from different vendors including internet dealers on Ebay. The highest quality cuttings I've purchased were from 1-stop-Aloha and Jungle Jim's, the quickest flowering ones were from Florida Colors and the best customer service was from Maui Gardens.
g. Finally I've stopped checking on my plumerias several times a day. The old Jedi mind trick is not working on them :0)
For the 2011 growing season I will continue to try different combination of soils and fertilizers. I am in the process of trying the "raw egg" method and I will attempt to cross pollinated two of my favorite species. I hope everyone have a great 2011 growing season.