Overwintered Bhut Won't Stop Growing...cut back?

grantsiMarch 9, 2011

Last year I started some bhut plants from seed in February - by September I had more peppers than I knew what to do with. When the first frost was forecast in Chicago, I brought the plant in. Around October 20th, I cut the plant down to a 6 inch "stick". Very quickly, there was new growth. Almost 5 months later the plant continues to sit by the patio door and now sports a lot of small shoots ( 1-2 inches max ) but also 2 shoots that turned into massive branches. They are approx. 2-3 FT tall and have leaves at the top. As we near the growing season, should I cut these back and allow the main stick do the growing, or are these important for energy production? It would be a huge thrill to get another season of peppers out of the same plant. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I would cut it back.
As long as you leave enough foliage for photosynthesis it should be just fine.
I try to keep my overwintered peppers at a conservative size.

Josh

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 11:18AM
esox07 (4b)

Cool, I am going to try this next fall. I have 4 bhuts started this year and will take the best one and cut it back in the late fall and bring it in. I am probably a zone higher than Chicago so I will probably have to overwinter a bit longer. It sounds like a great activity for the winter months up here north of Madison, Wisconsin.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 1:56PM
tsheets(5)

I'm no expert on overwintering / pruning (middle of second year of overwintering), but, I did just trim back several very long / thin branches that had grown out over this Winter. Last year, I pretty much left them, but, found that those spindly branches were too weak to support the fruit once Summer got here. So, I decided to trim them back this year. Oh, and not that it really makes much difference, but, it wasn't a bhut that I overwintered.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Possible NuMex Halloween Mutation
So this year I broke out one of my dried NuMex Halloween...
Edymnion
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Bhut Jolokia best growing conditions?
I have some Bhut Jolokia peppers coming in the mail....
piranha338
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Pepper Plant issue
I have some curling and deformation on some of my pepper...
Ryan Shea
Sponsored Products
Zebra Kiss Large Personalized Cosmetic Bag
$78.00 | Horchow
Dashing Pendant
Lightology
Tiffany-style Laburnum Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Shades of Blue Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Schonbek | Dionyx Wall Light
YLighting
Tiffany Lamps: Victorian 19 in. 2 Light-style Table Lamp with Shade CH19817G-TL2
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™