Best time to re-pot a plumeria?

disneyhorse(10A)March 31, 2014

My mom has half a dozen 3-5 gallon plumeria trees that I feel desperately need to be repotted. The soil (I think it's native clay "dirt" and not even cactus mix or anything) has sank 8" below the lip of the pot and some of them weren't rooted with a support and don't stand straight. Despite the neglect, they are "Gardena" and didn't go dormant this warm winter.
When is best to repot, does it matter? Id hate to kill her trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
disneyhorse(10A)

Well I had some time and some cactus mix and perlite from last year so the eight that looked the saddest got some TLC. I knocked most of the dirt off the root balls and stood them up straight and higher in the pots and watered them well. I tried not to disturb them too much so hopefully won't shock them.
But my personal plumerias were all cuttings I rooted last year in 1-2 gallon pots and I'm wondering when it's best to put them in bigger pots. Some of them rooted and seem pretty big and lanky (like Lurline and Kaleinani most notably...) so I'm guessing they will want a bigger pot by next year.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 8:39PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

Disney,

I was wondering the same thing! Great job repotting. They look awesome. I think I will do some of mine this weekend. ðÂÂÂ

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:40PM
maark23 TX/8a

Same here! I've been wanting to re pot some cuttings I had in plastic water bottles. I'm sure they are long over due.

Mark

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 11:12PM
jandey1(TX8)

Now is the best time to re-pot, as they're waking up, but I've also re-potted many during the height of summer and late fall, too. A healthy rooted plumeria will tolerate a lot of moving around. The leaves may wilt for a while but they'll perk up again after a few days and a good watering.

Good for you for taking care of your mom's plants, Disney! They look terrific and she has some other beauties there!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 9:05AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Good to know. I've got some one gallon plants that would probably appreciate bigger pots... So I'll get to them soon! I don't want to see wilting leaves later on :-/

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 9:54AM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

January to April in So. Calif. seems best so the trimming of the roots do not cause shock to a fully leafed out plant. I always use water with superthrive and seaweed extract to ease the shock and stimulate root growth. B-1 can be used too which is cheap at HD. garden section. Bill

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:45AM
disneyhorse(10A)

I've got some Superthrive so I'll give them a water with some. Good tip, thanks!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™