newbie with seedlings needs help

nitisMarch 19, 2011

I have four flats of seedlings going under 4 flourescent tubes.

One of my flats is the peat 50 cell sections the others are the 72 cell plastic ones

The ones in the Peat have not done a whole lot since being transplanted into them they have the initial 2 leaves and the buds of more but literally have not changed in 2 weeks and if anything are getting a little yellow. My guess too much water?

I know my light is probably not optimum but should be adequate right? I have good heat as I have the Amish fireplace running right next to them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yellow leaves usually means too much water, indeed.
Peat holds a lot of water and doesn't dry well, so overwatering is generally a given.

Josh

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 1:19PM
plantslayer(8)

I'm about to pot by peppers up into 16 oz cups with generic peat-based potting soil... I was wondering, would mixing a large proportion of pumice be good for the seedlings? They are very small right now, only 2 or 3 true leaves each.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:43AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Pumice is an excellent additive, although it should be rinsed before using (to remove the fine dust).
Pumice will improve drainage, it will displace excess water volume, and it will provide a durable
open structure allowing air to return to the roots. Also, pumice is abrasive, which encourages root-branching.

If you're unsure, maybe experiment with just a few seedlings.

Josh

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Found a nationwide compromise for 5-1-1 at Home Depot
Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil is actually made of...
scuba_steve81
Favorite Website Links
Bookmark this page! (and feel free to add to the list...
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
I made a boo boo...threw out the sinkers!!
I just had to vent somewhere I knew understands my...
beverly_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™