Guyana wiri wiri

goofy_507March 16, 2014

So I'm on spring break in Arizona, and I noticed a swap meet in the area. I found this little marble shaped pepper called a wiri wiri! Never heard of it, but I loved the flavor! Is there a different name for them? Has anyone grown these? I'm also an avid hell gardener, and was wondering if anybody has some seed on hand? Wow I think this is a perfect fruit!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentishman

Hi goofy, I don't have much to contribute, but since no one else has responded, here's what little I know about them. I got seeds about 4 years ago from a Guyanese fellow who lives in Florida. The seeds didn't germinate well, and I managed to grow two plants. The plants didn't grow well either, and by fall they were less than 1 ft tall. I overwintered them hoping they'd take off the next year. They grew a little better the second year but never produced pods. I gave up on them at that point and didn't try to keep them through a second winter. I posted a couple of times about them. AjiJoe, who contributes on The Hot Pepper forum, sent me more seed, but I never tried again. I've seen a few comments over the years saying that the pods have a great flavor and are used extensively in Guyanese cooking. Shame that I couldn't make them work for me. Maybe I had a batch of poor seed. It's one of the few peppers that has been a failure for me.

Hope this is of help.

Tom

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 11:11AM
goofy_507

Wow! Thanks for your help! That makes me want to try it even more. I spend more time on the carnivorous plant and orchid forums, so finding a pepper that is difficult to cultivate sounds like a great challenge to me. It's a shame they never worked for you! After all the flavor is amazing in my opinion.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:07PM
smokemaster_2007

no email address to send to...

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 4:19PM
goofy_507

Did u have some seed smoke master?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 4:34PM
goofy_507

Email hunteraevans@hotmail.com

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 4:37PM
pfloyd826(Z7 DC)

I bought a wiri wiri plant from cross country nurseries last year and it did quite well. I unfortunately did not save any seeds though. The peppers were tiny, less than a cm in diameter.

Tasty and HOT!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant from cross country

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:11AM
smokemaster_2007

VERY seedy pods though,gotta cook with them.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:09AM
goofy_507

They're amazing aren't they?! They are one of those that are soo good yet pretty hot! You have to chase the first with another hahaha!

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™