possible root rot - help!

daogirlMarch 16, 2013

Soooo ... one of my DSPs had a rotten branch (still recovering from our really cold temps), and I dug down to try and get to the bottom of it. Well, it was rotten all the way down to the root ball. I took a sterile pin and checked the other branches (dipping in alcohol between pokes), and the other two branches have white sap until the soil line, then under the soil line, nothing. Does this mean the entire bottom part of the plumeria is rotten? Or is it normal for the trunk under the soil line to be different. I'm torn between leaving the plant alone and seeing what happens (if it dies, I'll replace it), or whether I should take cuttings from the branches that I know for sure are healthy.

Here's the bottom of the rotten branch. If you look on the upper right, that's where it was joined to the rest of the plant.

Here's a shot of the bottom of the plant. The yellow-y bark is where the plant was below the soil line. You can see big roots toward the bottom, and the hole in the bottom right is where the branch came from (somewhere down there).

One larger picture:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

the rest of the plant appears to be ok, but watch the lower parts of the stems for softness. If they stay hard you should be fine.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:04PM
daogirl

Thanks, Bill. I'll leave well-enough alone for now and hope for the best!

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:19AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

What is DSP?

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 6:34PM
krismast(6 S.E. PA)

DSP stands for Dwarf Singapore Pink. Oh dear! I'm starting to recognize all the the abbreviations! I must be really getting addicted. Lol

Kristopher

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 7:16PM
daogirl

DSP is just way quicker to type! :) It's too bad this board doesn't allow for "sticky" posts - we could make one with all the abbreviations and jargon/shorthand that everyone uses.

Since this thread got bumped up, I might as well follow up. I ended up losing both large in-ground DSPs (boo!!). I was able to salvage 4 small cuttings which are in the process of rooting (I hope). No more Singapores in the ground for me, though. I'll post pix of the new plumeria flowerbed layout in another post!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:32AM
More Discussions
Love Spring time ;)
Looks like an inflo on a cutting I still have in a...
chuy415
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
Moonie_57 I need to confirm contact info?
Moonie, You have your Messaging off. I need to confirm...
freak4plumeria
Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix
Hi Guys and Gals!! I received a Bare Rooted tree from...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Desert Rose looking nicely
Well I have had no inflo's on my plummies the past...
kevabear
Sponsored Products
LBL Bonn Smoke Nickel Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Fitzgerald Leather Sectional - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Charcoal
$70.97 | Home Depot
Thomasville One-Light White Outdoor Wall Light
$71.50 | Bellacor
Parsa Rug 8' x 10' - IVORY
$829.00 | Horchow
Premium Select Venetian Bronze 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Dark Oak Classic Hand Ca
$608.00 | Bellacor
Paris Eiffel Tower Wall Clock
Overstock.com
Donatella Settee Chair, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™