chinese fan palm

jonpaJune 5, 2014

Hey all, I recently became ambitious and bought a pretty large chinese fan palm and planted it out back of my house. I did my research first before I did it and I read that those palms are pretty cold hardy. I'm still a little unsure if they will survive. They seem to be doing well, new fronds coming up in both plants, they have been in the ground for about 2 weeks. Has anyone else gad success with this plant in zone 7? Would love to know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
k4idx(7 -GA)

I actually have had one here in Ne GA in the ground for about 5 years. If you protect it, it'll take the cold well enough, however, I have let mine remain unprotected for the last two years and it completely defoliates and comes back well into the summer. My two cents...if you have the time to give it the attention, you should have no problems. Oh, by the way, I assume you mean the Livinstonia Chinensis and not Trachycarpus Fortunei. Trachys handle a 7A very well. I have one that stays unprotected year round and is over 12' tall.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 7:07PM
bradleyo_gw

Jonpa - Forget about livistonas, concentrate on sabal minors, needles, and trachies. I assume by your name you are near Philly. Please join us on the Hardy Palm and Subtopical board:

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/

the Hardy Palms in Temperate Zones board,

http://members3.boardhost.com/MIDWESTPALMS/

and the Hardy Palms for the Northeast Board,

http://members6.boardhost.com/spanish2/

I like this board, however, these other boards are much more local and are more relevant to us here in Pennsylvania. No offense to anyone here, please feel free to join us as well if it applies to you!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:58PM
jonpa

Thanks bradleyo+k4idx for the tips, and yes I'm near philly, about 40 min west

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:45PM
jonpa

Also I have a pindo planted between my 2 chinese fan palms, I heard they are pretty cold hardy as well. It seems to be doing well right now, I guess the real test will be when it starts getting cold out, around mid November

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
Is a Windmill Palm worth it long term?
Okay guys this is my first post since Gardenweb joined...
MileHighGardener
Windmill palms for sale on Long Island, NY. 35% off till March 23rd
We currently are having a 35% off sale right now on...
ISLAND WIDE PALM TREES
Growing Coconut Palm from planted coconut: What happens to the husk?
Hey all, I'd like to replant this coconut palm in the...
ftlauddude
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Sponsored Products
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Black Wall Mount Lantern with Clear Beveled G
$70.00 | Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Lamps San Juan 34 in. Outdoor Bisque Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Illumine Lamps 61 in. Torchiere Lamp with Frost Glass Polished Steel
Home Depot
52" Kichler Cortez Aged White Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 4-Light Outdoor Hanging Lantern English Bronze Finish
Home Depot
Commercial Electric 6 in. White Airtight Baffle Trim (6-Pack) HBR635WHA-6PK
$41.87 | Home Depot
Outdoor Lighting. LV45VRD Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage (12V) Die Ca
$72.97 | Home Depot
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light LED Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Post Light with
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™